Part recommendations for New NAS build

• Hi everyone,

Was wondering if i could get your advice on my setup. I'm in the beginning phase of choosing parts for a home media server which, so far, is primarily going to be used for serving 4k video content to a couple rooms and backups for all the comps.

Right now I serve content through SMB to my media players but I would like to keep the option open for Plex or anything else. I would want the machine to be powerful enough in case I decide to add a VM or two.

I dont want the case to have a big footprint and I think this one is pretty good

SilverStone SST-DS380

I was wondering what mini-itx board to get with this. I looked at some threads and some people were recommending motherboards with chips built in. Would this one be suitable:

ASRock J3455-ITX .... Or if i get a normal ITX like this one: ASUS Intel LGA1151 H110.. what processor would you guys recommend?

For HDD, Ill start with three WD RED 10TB and have a software raid 5. Will add HDDs as time goes on. And if there arent enough SATA ports, I could get a pci-e card. RAM will depend on Motherboard I guess.

Budget is not that big an issue (within reason). Anyway I'll take any recommendations you guys have. Thanks for your help! :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

He means you probably don't need raid. It isn't backup. It is only about redundancy and availability. Most home users can handle an outage.

The drives and case are good. The board/cpu depend on whether you would transcode with plex (or other media service) and how big the VMs would be.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ah ok.. So then if anything I should get four 10tb drives and keep two of them as backup...

I’ve been reading up on transcoding (fairly new to all this) and I don’t think I’ll need it for my media boxes (zappiti one 4K hdr) because they should be able to handle everything. The only use I could see for transcoding, correct me if I’m wrong, is if I play some heavy files on my phone or iPad?

Thanks!

• The only use I could see for transcoding, correct me if I’m wrong, is if I play some heavy files on my phone or iPad?

Most probably not even then you need online transcoding since if your Wi-Fi is good enough (802.11ac or newer, 5Ghz band) bandwidth won't be a problem and you can also offline transcode material you need to watch on limited clients. BTW: more intelligent transcoding attempts do not use the CPU cores for this job but delegate it to the video engine. Your Apollo Lake board only has a Gen9 GPU so unless you have already DDR3 memory lying around you might want to check a Gemini Lake board with J4105 for example (but I've no idea about software support for QuickSync on Linux, I do this stuff on ARM devices).

get four 10tb drives and keep two of them as backup

Just to keep in mind: RAID is still not backup :)

• ASRock J4105B ITX

It supports upto 8gb ddr4 (I did see a review where a person was using upto 16gb they said)

All Gemini Lake boards support up to 32GB but there exists a timing issue and DIMMs that are too fast cause issues. This list can be taken for any other J4105 (or Gemini Lake in general): https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid…ram#confirmed_ram_modules

The board above is fine, in case you're happy with just 2 SATA ports there's also the J4105B-ITX saving a bit on costs and a little bit on idle consumption.

Wrt the HDDs: I personally only use Seagate (WD caused too much issues, especially not signaling cable/connector problems via SMART the first hours of operation) but that's just a personal preference.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have seven WD REDs (three are pros) at home and maintain servers with 20 more REDs. Never had an issue and my personal drives are almost four years old. I also have three Seagates (two archive drives) and haven't had an issue.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!