ASRock J4105 [Macbook Wifi Slow]

• Hi all,

I have the ASRock J4105 motherboard and running OMV (Version 4.1.22-1(Arrakis)) and it's great so far! Kernel: Linux 4.9.0-9-amd64

I just have an issue with my Realtek Ethernet driver on the J4105. The ethernet speeds are pretty slow. I have blacklisted the r8169 driver as per instructions on various sites and I have installed latest R8168 driver version “8.047.01-NAPI” that is the latest version from Realtek's website but still getting really slow speeds. Please note I also tried a few earlier versions of the driver and also had slow speeds.

EDIT: SOLVED! (the issue was not Realtek driver on J4105, but my Macbook Pro's Wi-Fi)

I tested with iperf3 between my Macbook Pro connected on 802.11ac 5Ghz (via Netgear R7000 router and the OMV server connected to that with a CAT6 ethernet cable) and the maximum bandwidth I’m getting is 15.8 Mbits/sec.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

root@mynas:~# sudo ethtool -i enp3s0
    driver: r8168
    version: 8.047.01-NAPI
    firmware-version:
    expansion-rom-version:
    bus-info: 0000:03:00.0
    supports-statistics: yes
    supports-test: no
    supports-eeprom-access: no
    supports-register-dump: yes
    supports-priv-flags: no

Thanks,
    Conor

• I tested with iperf3 between my Macbook Pro connected on 802.11ac 5Ghz (via Netgear R7000 router and the OMV server connected to that with a CAT6 ethernet cable) and the maximum bandwidth I’m getting is 15.8 Mbits/sec

In other words: you're not complaining about 'Ethernet Slow' but 'wireless slow', right?

Is your Ethernet throughput slow? If you've only a recent MacBook Pro I would suggest buying an USB-C Ethernet dongle with RTL8153 chipset (the major brands selling adapters at a premium price all rely on this chip since it's the best available for USB3 GbE).

• Hi tkaiser,

Thanks for your reply. It's a Late 2013 15" Retina Macbook Pro, it's connected to 801.11ac Wi-Fi on 5Ghz and is right beside the router with full signal so I would expect that bandwidth should definitely be greater than approx 15.8 Mbits/sec between the Mac and OMV server. The Wi-Fi menu on my Mac shows a TX rate of 1300Mbps on the Wi-Fi.

All this leads me to suspect it's something about the driver on my OMV server - is there any other ways I can test bandwidth? / other checks I can do? I don't currently have a USB to Ethernet adapter for my Mac but could look into purchasing one as a last resort, however I want to try all other options first.

Thanks,
    Conor

• All this leads me to suspect it's something about the driver on my OMV server

Why? Currently you have no idea about Ethernet speeds at all and most probably just stumbled across some distracting RealTek bashing on the net. J4105 with 8111G or 8111H and a stock Debian is known to saturate Gigabit Ethernet and these Wi-Fi signal rates are mostly marketing BS (wi-fi signal rate vs real world througput).

With an older MacBook Pro like yours most probably Apple's Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter is a better idea (lower latencies) and to diagnose wireless problems I always found NetSpot to be a great tool.

• Hi tkaiser,

I just would imagine that the Wi-Fi (even if nowhere near Gigabit speeds) on my Macbook would still allow transfer speeds much greater than approx 15.8 Mbits/sec. Nonetheless, I have sourced a USB 3 to Ethernet adapter on Amazon and will test that out in the coming days and see how that goes.

Thanks!
    Conor

• I just would imagine that the Wi-Fi (even if nowhere near Gigabit speeds) on my Macbook would still allow transfer speeds much greater than approx 15.8 Mbits/sec

Yes, should happen. But Wi-Fi means shared medium so if you're not living alone in the wilderness wireless performance is up to your neighbors and not you. With my setup (2017 MBP against a 802.11ac router capable of 3x3 MIMO) I get this:

But here in my area only 2.4 GHz is totally overcrowded but 5 GHz still ok (only little interference) and my MBP is capable of 3x3 MIMO too:

I have sourced a USB 3 to Ethernet adapter on Amazon

I hope you followed the RTL8153 chipset recommendation. Best performance and no driver hassles (driver being part of every major OS, in OS X it appeared in 10.8). Since you're in DE I would recommend CSL for such stuff, e.g. https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07FK1NLCX/

The Macbook from late 2013 has 801.11ac? I thought the standard was only released end of 2013

Apple also started to ship with 802.11n when the standard wasn't final. In fact there were over 2.5 years in between first Apple product with 802.11n and final specs. That's what firmware updates are for.

• Hi all,

Just an update to let you know I got the Gigabit ethernet problem sorted, I am able to get Gigabit speeds now with a USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter on my Macbook Pro! Now the only bottleneck in my setup are Netgear PL1200 Powerline adapters that I use! They only let me get about 300mb/s speed but this will do me fine for now!

Thanks for your help, I'm loving OpenMediaVault and this entire experience of learning and building my home media server!
    Conor

• It would be great if you could adjust the thread title and update your first post with a link to a final conclusion below. The reason is to save further victims of RealTek bashing some time since your whole issue wasn't related to Ethernet or 'the low quality' of RealTek drivers but simply Wi-Fi being the sh*t show it is today in crowded areas.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!