NAS in VM - advices

• Hello there NASers from all around the world! What's up?

I am here because my WD My Cloud Mirror 2 TB is reaching its limits and its time for a new rig. I started a hectic documentation and I start preparing a small machine to hold this. As this will be my home server, the NAS software will most probably run in a VM or in a Container because I want this machine to hold also some other small servers. The specs of the machine are:

Fujitsu Esprimo E710 E85+ with the following upgrades:
    CPU: Intel i7-3770
    RAM (at least for the moment): 16 GB DDR
    OS SSD: min 180 GB. I have 2 units at home: one 180 GB and one 480 GB and I have not yet decided which one will go. My main concert is that I will save a lot of OS images and containers and VM backups and templates so this will eat up space quick... If I will manage to move the templates and backups on storage that I will go with the 180... for my peace of mind, my swap and my comfort I might go with the bigger one
    Storage HDDs: 3 x 4TB WD Red that I plan to use with ZFS in RAID 5 and to have ~ 8TB available.

The software will look like this:
    - hypervisor: Proxmox
    - NAS VM: OMV
    - other (non related to NAS) VMs/containers: Odoo (OpenERP), Apache Reverse Proxy, small web dev LAMP server. Each of them I intend to run in containers with ~1 Thread / 1 GB RAM

This landscape would leave me with allowing the NAS VM 1 core / 2 threads (max 3 threads). RAM can go up to 8 GB.

Additionally I would like to be able to access the data from internet and I was considering NextCloud which scores on reliability, user spread and functionalities but suffers on bloat and heaviness. From my research I should give it at least 1 core and 2-3 GB of RAM.

I would appreciate any comments and alternatives on the setup.

Usage will be for home user / small business: file sharing in LAN, working with office documents, a bit of personal photo and video. Not much download activity. Internet access to data will happen only when we are remote and we will need something, so speed is not of utmost importance, but reliability.

• Use proxmox and put the OMV system on a VM, use containers por everything else or just create a ubuntu VM with docker, and anything u like.

I use an old i7 860 for proxmox with 8gb of ram.

OMV has 2 cores and 3gb ram

Ubuntu with docker has 2 cores and 4gb of ram (just a couple of services on docker runnign)

a windows10 machine but its just for testing, is not running

and a Win2016 server for AD but its off too, just turn it on when i need a change on my PCs on network (i have a business).

So the disk, 120gb ssd for proxmox, 2x2tb (raid1 config in bios) for the OMV sharing media, etc, and 2x1tb (raid1 config in bios) for VMS, containers, etc

All work fine for me, its like u have the update of mine... lol.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!