My final HW config

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm just trying to ensure that I get the best possible setup

I think there is no such thing ;)

make sure that I still understand how it works and how to implement it correctly and be able to maintain it

KISS: use ext4 and rsnapshot

Snapraid (I don't use it, but many others on the forum) seems to work well, but I think you need to spend some time to understand how to set it up and how to fix issues, if they come up.

In any case you should have some kind of off-site backup like cloud or external drive you store in a different place.
    Also check the user guide which is linked in my signature.

• KISS: use ext4 and rsnapshot

Thanks! I am also a fan of this approach. You can implement the most complicated and data protective approach, but if you don't understand how to implement it correctly or how it really works, then it's a ticking time bomb in my mind.

I have considered going the btrfs with btrbk route, but something has been holding me back.... Maybe it's just that to really justify using that filesystem I need to have a better understanding of the filesystem and how to make full use of it's positive features and avoid it's negatives.

I presume that none of your advice would change with the impending OMV5 release (which i'm planning on waiting for before setting up my NAS ;) ).

In any case you should have some kind of off-site backup like cloud or external drive you store in a different place.
    Also check the user guide which is linked in my signature.

Thank you! I will definitely check out the user guide. Downloading as I type.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!