My final HW config

• Not for me ;)
    The NAS of my dreams would occupy two real SATA slots, an energy efficient ARM SoC equipped with two SATA ports and 2.5GbE, the whole thing can be powered by a 12V/4A brick and will idle at below 3W with disks spun down. :)

I would love an arm cpu as powerfull as snapdragon 855 with 6 sata ports and a 2,5gbps port, but it doesn't exist right now.
    Since I need plex, the average plex motherboard is not good enough for me.

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• I would love an arm cpu as powerfull as snapdragon 855 with 6 sata ports and a 2,5gbps port, but it doesn't exist right now

A NAS doesn't need a powerful CPU. At least not a powerful AP (NAS SoCs differentiate between application processor (AP) and communication processor(s) --> CP). See Marvell 7k/8k for example.

Something with 7 SATA ports and 2.5GbE and a dual-core ARM is lying on my desk BTW: It's a Solid-Run Clearfog Pro with 2 additional PCIe attached SATA HBAs and as such way beyond my idle consumption requirements :(

BTW: When you talk about Plex then you mean 'on-the-fly transcoding', right? Can be done on both Intel (QuickSync) and on ARM on the video engine instead of CPU cores (see Emby example for ODROID HC1/HC2)

• A NAS doesn't need a powerful CPU. At least not a powerful AP (NAS SoCs differentiate between application processor (AP) and communication processor(s) --> CP). See Marvell 7k/8k for example.
    Something with 7 SATA ports and 2.5GbE and a dual-core ARM is lying on my desk BTW: It's a Solid-Run Clearfog Pro with 2 additional PCIe attached SATA HBAs and as such way beyond my idle consumption requirements :(

BTW: When you talk about Plex then you mean 'on-the-fly transcoding', right? Can be done on both Intel (QuickSync) and on ARM on the video engine instead of CPU cores (see Emby example for ODROID HC1/HC2)

yeah, in my case the nas is more a small server, that's why I need a powerful cpu. while in idle, the system should use 10 to 15W for what I know.
    I know that plex/emby can transcode on the fly with the gpu, but the quality is sually inferior to the cpu.

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• I guess my ZFS/btrfs proposals are more 'food for thought' than practical advice if you're not willing to invest some time to become more familiar with such low-level stuff (which most probably wasn't your goal when choosing OMV in the first place :) )

You are right. I would prefer to stay mostly in the GUI :). I guess two independent disks as datastore and the suggested RSnapshot plugin seem to be a good way. Until now I would have just formatted the drives in an ext4 format, but is there a better one that checks for bit rot or other issues that might occur?

• Until now I would have just formatted the drives in an ext4 format, but is there a better one that checks for bit rot or other issues that might occur?

Well, filesystems with internal bit rot protection suitable for your scenario are still only ZFS and btrfs. But with your count of total disks of two and the requirement to combine non redundant storage and some 'area' that uses data redundancy I would believe you still need to partition manually. Then you could build one non redundant pool made by two large partitions using mergerfs (never used this) and then use rsync/rsnapshot to sync the two small partitions in a redundant way. But I've no idea whether all of this can be done from within OMV's UI.

• Out ou curiosity, why you're going for an i3 rather than a Pentium g5400?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I will start small and build my way up from there...

Would you consider buying a third drive and using SNAPRAID? SNAPRAID provides bit rot protection for local drives (works - tested), and a type of backup for file and folder restorations. (To the state they were in during the last SYNC.)
    Using Rsnapshot for your personal data, to backup important files from one disk to the second, you'd also have versioned backup which is the rough equivalent of CoW snapshots. And with cloud storage for your personal data, your backup requirement for personal files would be well covered.

Both Rsnapshot and SNAPRAID can be set up and ran from the GUI. A nice feature of both is that they can be added at any time. And if you chose to do so, in the future, you could back out of both without losing anything.

But I wouldn't wait too long. It's easy to forget about these things and there's no knowing when a hard drive may go south or when malware may make a mess of your personal files.

• Would you consider buying a third drive and using SNAPRAID? SNAPRAID provides bit rot protection for local drives (works - tested), and a type of backup for file and folder restorations. (To the state they were in during the last SYNC.) Using Rsnapshot for your personal data, to backup important files from one disk to the second, you'd also have versioned backup which is the rough equivalent of CoW snapshots. And with cloud storage for your personal data, your backup requirement for personal files would be well covered.

Both Rsnapshot and SNAPRAID can be set up and ran from the GUI. A nice feature of both is that they can be added at any time. And if you chose to do so, in the future, you could back out of both without losing anything.

But I wouldn't wait too long. It's easy to forget about these things and there's no knowing when a hard drive may go south or when malware may make a mess of your personal files.

i'm not gonna buy another 8TB drive right now. I think i will start with rsnapshot + cloud

• because i already had the i3... But it also has a better perfomance. Why would you go with the G5400?

if you had to buy it new, g5400 cost is half the cost of the i3. Also has less power draw.
    I have a 4400 and it usually never go over 3/4% apart when using plex. i3 is way overkill if you use basic things like torrent, sonarr, samba.
    Still, if you already have it, there is no point on not using it :)

• Would you consider buying a third drive and using SNAPRAID? SNAPRAID provides bit rot protection for local drives (works - tested), and a type of backup for file and folder restorations. (To the state they were in during the last SYNC.) Using Rsnapshot for your personal data, to backup important files from one disk to the second, you'd also have versioned backup which is the rough equivalent of CoW snapshots. And with cloud storage for your personal data, your backup requirement for personal files would be well covered.

damn, now you got me thinking of adding a 3rd drive and using snapraid... BUT for the parity drive, I don't want to buy another WD Red. If i sync once a week, I guess I could pretty much get the cheapest (decent quality) HDD out there, right? It's only gonna spin up once a week... I'm honestly not expecting huge data changes every week and I can still make snapshot from one data drive to another every day I guess.

Do you guys think that makes sense?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can still make snapshot from one data drive to another every day I guess.

Yep, much like regular snapshots, Rsnapshot is efficient. After the first snapshot, only changes will be copied. For documents and the like, a daily snapshot would be very fast, probably under a minute.

I don't want to buy another WD Red. If i sync once a week

I believe this is right on the money. New and "bit perfect", for the parity drive, is more important than being fast so a cheaper slower drive will be fine. My preference is to schedule Snapraid SYNC and scrubs for the early morning hours, where they can take as much time as needed.

• Not for me ;)
    The NAS of my dreams would occupy two real SATA slots, an energy efficient ARM SoC equipped with two SATA ports and 2.5GbE, the whole thing can be powered by a 12V/4A brick and will idle at below 3W with disks spun down. :)

Is there anything that comes close to this that you can recommend? I can easily forgo such strict networking speeds. Just a simple device for personal backup and media storage accessed through SMB.

• I have just received a Helios4 (3rd batch) and am making the final decision for filesystem for my drives. I was leaning towards btrfs and btrbk for backups, but what you have described above is a little over my head. If that is the case would you recommend sticking to something like ext4 and rsnapshot?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was leaning towards btrfs and btrbk for backups, but what you have described above is a little over my head. If that is the case would you recommend sticking to something like ext4 and rsnapshot?

tkaiser will not anwer, most likely. I would say, yes, stay with ext4.

• tkaiser will not anwer, most likely. I would say, yes, stay with ext4.

Thanks @macom I don't think that I want to setup a raid type scenario with snapraid like what Sinobi is describing above. But I suppose the question should be asked, should I be doing that? What would you recommend for creating incremental backups with ext4? Something like Snapshot? Or would it be better to go down the path of Snapraid?

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I'm just trying to ensure that I get the best possible setup that I can and make sure that I still understand how it works and how to implement it correctly and be able to maintain it :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!