External HDD won't spin down (works fine under Windows, MacOS, Ubuntu, FritzOS)

• OMV 4.x
    • External HDD won't spin down (works fine under Windows, MacOS, Ubuntu, FritzOS)

I've connected an external Seagate Backup Plus Portable 5 TB hard-drive via USB 3.0.

The drive and USB-to-SATA interface it capable of being put into standby by the OS, as Windows 10, Ubuntu and even the FritzOS on my router can automatically and/or manually spin-down the hard-drive.

Unfortunately, when using OMV, this does not happen. I've already set the following values:

Did I miss a setting somewhere that I still need to change?
    • TOMillr wrote:

Can I run that command somewhere in the web interface?
      Would require installing the 'shellinabox' plugin. But since you're using Windows 10, you can enable the SSH service in OMV's UI, then open cmd.exe in Windows and login via ssh: ssh root@omv.local (replace 'omv' with the name of your server). There's no need to install PuTTY on Windows 10.
      No more contributions to this project until 'alternative facts' (AKA ignorance/stupidity) are gone
    • TOMillr wrote:

I'm getting an error message:

But how come that the spin down works fine with a basic Ubuntu install or the FritzOS, which is also based on Linux/Unix?
      It looks like hdparm is not able to handle your hdd... Try replacing hdparm with hd-idle or sdparm.
      htpcguides.com/spin-down-and-m…ve-power-on-raspberry-pi/

Why it works in ubuntu. I do not know. Maybe it does not use hdparm or it can handle hdd correctly.
    • TOMillr wrote:

But how come that the spin down works fine with a basic Ubuntu install or the FritzOS, which is also based on Linux/Unix?
      Since you're trying to access an USB3 disk from Seagate it might be related to the kernel version so which kernel are you running on the Ubuntu box and OMV? The output of uname -a will tell.

Background info: hdparm requires 'ATA command pass through' mode with USB disks and with kernel 4.14 something has changed here.
      No more contributions to this project until 'alternative facts' (AKA ignorance/stupidity) are gone
    • tkaiser wrote:

TOMillr wrote:

Since you're trying to access an USB3 disk from Seagate it might be related to the kernel version so which kernel are you running on the Ubuntu box and OMV? The output of uname -a will tell.
      I've tried the latest 19.04 Ubuntu release which comes with the 5.0 kernel.

Is there anything I can try besides waiting for a new release that also includes the kernel update?

EDIT: Btw, it this an issue with the firmware those Seagate drives use or rather with the ATA-to-USB bridge inside the case?

The post was edited 1 time, last by TOMillr ().

• TOMillr wrote:

Is there anything I can try besides waiting for a new release that also includes the kernel update?
      Maybe blacklisting the UAS module (forum search).

TOMillr wrote:

it this an issue with the firmware those Seagate drives use or rather with the ATA-to-USB bridge inside the case?
      If 'ATA command pass through' is the problem then It's an issue with the bridge's firmware.
    • I was able to blacklist the Seagate hard drive and now am able to read out SMART values as well as manually have the drive spin down by using "hdparm -y".

However, I've yet to get the drive to automatically spin-down after the specified 5 minutes spin-down time in the OMV settings.

Also, when I use this drive on a Windows 10 machine, the OS seems to power down the entire drive (or USB port?). In OMV, while the drive can spin down mit hdparm, the status led on the external drive never turns off and the power consumption of the drive is also higher. Does Windows somehow handle standby for external drive differently?
    • TOMillr wrote:

Does Windows somehow handle standby for external drive differently?
      No idea. Using Windows annoys me, I only deal with this OS from time to time at the job. And I never bought 'USB disks' from vendors like Seagate or WD, always only buying USB enclosures with chipsets known to work and to get firmware updates in case of problems.

You could try to experiment with this in Linux:

Source Code

1. echo offline > /sys/block/sde/device/state
      2. echo 1 > /sys/block/sde/device/delete
      The above assumes your disk is /dev/sde.
    • tkaiser wrote:

Source Code

1. echo offline > /sys/block/sde/device/state
      2. echo 1 > /sys/block/sde/device/delete
      The above assumes your disk is /dev/sde.
      Thanks gonna give that a try today and report back.

However, I still haven't managed to have OMV automatically spin-down the external hard drive after the set amount (see first screenshot). The drive just keeps on spinning, even after a couple of hours and no activity through a user. When I manually spin-down the drive with hdparm, standby is properly initiated and the drive remains in standby the whole time.
    • TOMillr wrote:

I still haven't managed to have OMV automatically spin-down the external hard drive after the set amount (see first screenshot)
      Then there's no need to experiment with the commands I provided since hdparm's method to send the disk to sleep after n minutes of inactivity doesn't work. You could try out hd-idle or sdparm instead (OMV's core has never been designed to be used with USB disks and the countless hassles involved so you're somewhat on your own with USB storage troubles under Linux).
    • macom wrote:

There is a thread in the forum how to set up hd-idle.
      Thanks, going to read up on this and try hd-idle instead.

tkaiser wrote:

If 'ATA command pass through' is the problem then It's an issue with the bridge's firmware.
      Does anyone know of an external USB 3.0 case that is known to work? Maybe I can just buy a new case instead? But the case should be large enough to hold the 5tb Seagate drive with a z-height of 15 mm...