HDD migration from Synology single-disk NAS to OMV single-disk NAS

• Hi,

I've just put together a NAS based on an Odroid HC2 box and OMV, and a single spare 500Gb HDD. All seems to be working fine.

I have a Synology DS112+ (single-disk, 2TB WD Red) which has been my NAS for many years but I fancy switching to OMV full time, using the Odroid box as the hardware. The Odroid has OMV instlled on a micro SSD drive

My question - can I take the HDD out of the Synology and put it straight in to the Odroid and still keep all the data that is on there? I mean, physically the switch is possible, obviously, but as the Synology drive is EXT4 I'm kinda hoping that the data would remain inatct and be instantly recognisable by OMV.

All the answers I've been able to find relate to RAID setups, which basically say you can't do this, but I'm wondering if with a single-disk solution it is possible?

Thanks!

Paul

omv 6.4.0-3 Shaitan | 64 bit | Linux 5.4.239-odroidxu4 | Odroid HC2 | ARMv7 Processor

plugins :: omvextrasorg 6.3 | compose 6.7

• Offizieller Beitrag

Insert the drive, boot and create a shared folder pointing at one of the folders on the disk.
    As it is ext4 it should work as KM0201 mentioned.

If you used encryption on the Synology it might be a different story,

• Offizieller Beitrag

It should be possible to move the HDD. And create a share and using command line tools move the old data into the shared folder.

However, even if the old HDD use ext4 I suspect it also has some extra system/boot partition(s) that may be annoying and confusing.

I would recommend you to get a new fresh big nice HDD and use that instead. And keep to old NAS for backups. I still have my old Synology 411j NAS with 4x3TB drives. It is used as offline archive.

I use mostly Seagate IronWolf 12TB NAS drives in my HC2s.

• Thanks everyone, i may just give it a go as suggested. AFAIK i haven't used encryption I figured there would be an OS partition on there as well, but I was hoping I could somehow wipe that and extend the existing (main) partition.

If i do try it i shall report back at some point.

Thanks again

omv 6.4.0-3 Shaitan | 64 bit | Linux 5.4.239-odroidxu4 | Odroid HC2 | ARMv7 Processor

plugins :: omvextrasorg 6.3 | compose 6.7

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!