OMV can't stop samba spamming to syslog

• Hi all,

I have a strange issue on OMV 4 (latest) on my rock64 (arm64) where samba is writing lots of messages to the syslog but I have logging set to None in the Samba settings.

I have checked the settings in smb.conf and they look correct and the settings file changes when I make changes to the logging level - but I still get the same level of logging to syslog. It's not a big issue just annoying.

Is there some other setting (or another conf file) that is overriding the setting?

Any thoughts/help appreciated.

• After a bit more research I can confirm it is nmbd that continues to write to the syslog even after logging is set to none. smbd does stop logging when I change to logging level to none.

below are some of the entries. The same items are logged every 5 mins.

nmbd[2170]: [2019/06/05 18:26:33.742248, 0] ../source3/nmbd/nmbd_namequery.c:109(query_name_response)
    nmbd[2170]: query_name_response: Multiple (2) responses received for a query on subnet 192.168.xxxx for name WORKGROUP<1d>.
    nmbd[2170]: This response was from IP 192.168.xxx, reporting an IP address of 192.168.xxx

below is the output from testparm but I don't see the setting for the log level?

Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
    rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
    Processing section "[nasdata]"
    Loaded services file OK.
    Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

# Global parameters
    [global]
    server string = %h server
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    logging = syslog
    max log size = 1000
    panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
    disable spoolss = Yes
    load printers = No
    printcap name = /dev/null
    min receivefile size = 16384
    pam password change = Yes
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
    dns proxy = No
    idmap config * : backend = tdb
    printing = bsd
    create mask = 0777
    directory mask = 0777
    aio read size = 16384
    aio write size = 16384
    use sendfile = Yes
    write cache size = 524288

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!