GPU Necesary After Setup?

• I'm thinking about either building a NAS or using a 2014 off-the-shelf PC I've got laying around, but I'm wondering if a GPU is necesary. If I build a NAS, I'll probably go with a Ryzen 3 CPU which doesn't have a built-in GPU, but I also don't want to go shelling out for a GPU just for the NAS or have to waste PCIe lanes on it. Could I just borrow my main rig's GPU for the setup and then shut down the NAS, return the GPU to my main rig, and then power the NAS back up? Or is a GPU still needed somehow for rendering webpages or something else? :/

• Al aire libre

I'm thinking about either building a NAS or using a 2014 off-the-shelf PC I've got laying around, but I'm wondering if a GPU is necesary. If I build a NAS, I'll probably go with a Ryzen 3 CPU which doesn't have a built-in GPU, but I also don't want to go shelling out for a GPU just for the NAS or have to waste PCIe lanes on it. Could I just borrow my main rig's GPU for the setup and then shut down the NAS, return the GPU to my main rig, and then power the NAS back up? Or is a GPU still needed somehow for rendering webpages or something else?

Greetings to the community, and this is my first post :)

The GPU is not necessary for the web interface.
    However, the GPU can be useful if you install programs for handling multimedia such as Emby or Plex in your OMV.
    These programs require good resources when decoding and send it to other devices for a good perfomance on the client side.
    Emby gives you the option to use your CPU or your GPU for those tasks which is a benefit.

If that is not your scenario, the GPU is totally irrelevant.

Note:
    -You can also install OMV using the serial port of the PC with a VGA adapter.
    -You can also place a GPU just to install.

• From experience, most if not all PC/motherboard won't POST without a GPU - that's why server boards have a discrete onboard GPU, usually with just VGA.

HP N54L Microserver, 20Gb Intel SSD, 4Gb RAM runing OMV 4.X
    HP N54L Microserver 20Gb Intel SSD, 8Gb RAM running OMV 4.X
    and loads of other PC's and NAS... OMV by far the best....
    (P.S. I hate Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98se, 98 and 95 - I have lost hours of my life to this windows virus)

• There are some boards, that wont post, but this is not all too common, quite rare to be honest.
    Server Mainboards have gpus because sometimes its needed, thats pretty much all. Not everybody has a good ipmi or similar based workenvironment.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!