The Piwigo Challenge

• Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

This thread is to encourage some help on getting Piwigo function on docker in Openmedivault.

The prize is a TechnoDad Life sticker to the first four people that successfully post screen captures of piwigo successfully running with pictures in database, along with complete instructions of how they did it with screen captures of their configs Also they will get mention in the Piwigo video when I make it.

What you'll need.

Openmediavault server
    Piwigo Docker
    Mariadb docker

Here are the basic parameters:

Code
    image: mariadb:latest
        restart: always
        volumes:
          appdata/piwigo:/var/lib/mysql
        environment:
          MYSQL_DATABASE: piwigodb
          MYSQL_USER: piwigo
          MYSQL_PASSWORD: piwigo
          MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD: piwigo

Raedy. Set. Go.

• Dear TechnoDadLife (what's your name really?)
    i am a great enthusiast of your videos and i installed omv, nextcloud and so on successfully. Piwigo i installed exactly following your instructions for Nextcloud (Mariadb and Docker Piwigo) and it works fantastic. For some days I give you an account for my album "Florida 19", so you can immagine how it works. https://cloud36.duckdns.org, user name: TechnoDadLife, PW: test.
    Yours Swiss enthusiastic.

• Hello TDL,

i set up my OMV and Webserver by following your very clear instructions from your videos. Same with Piwigo as HansGalliker mentioned I was using the Analogie to the Nextcloud Installation (Mariadb docker from the Nextcloud Installation and Piwigo Docker). My Installation runs on a Odroid HC2, using ARM Docker Images.gallery.echladny.myhome-server.de

• Dear TechnoDadLife (what's your name really?)
    i am a great enthusiast of your videos and i installed omv, nextcloud and so on successfully. Piwigo i installed exactly following your instructions for Nextcloud (Mariadb and Docker Piwigo) and it works fantastic. For some days I give you an account for my album "Florida 19", so you can immagine how it works. https://cloud36.duckdns.org, user name: TechnoDadLife, PW: test.
    Yours Swiss enthusiastic.

this you already have a working piwigo: is it possible to restrict it only in your LAN? I don't want my photos to be accessible from web.

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Great! I'll wait for the technodad guide than :D

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• I have one MariaDB for Nextcloud, so I created a new one for piwigo. Changed the port from 3306 to 3307.

I get stuck at this step

Code
    root@Sparta:~# docker container exec -it piwigodb bash
    root@dd1b5fc36d70:/# mysql -u root -p

Then, nothing. Just sits there. Any ideas?

Is this old airplane safe to fly? How in the world do you think it got to be this old?

• So I ran the command:

id -nu 99, and it returns "no such user"

Who is user UID 99 in your instances where piwigo is working? I think that might be my problem...

Is this old airplane safe to fly? How in the world do you think it got to be this old?

• So I ran the command:

Who is user UID 99 in your instances where piwigo is working? I think that might be my problem...

Hi, you can use your admin account or whoever managing your docker containers for P*ID.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von notadmin () aus folgendem Grund: Edit typo

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello TDL,

I apologize for the plug, but here is my rough draft https://www.networkshinobi.com/piwigo-on-openmediavault/
    Hope this would help to some point, or at least point everyone to the right direction.

EDIT/Update:
    I think I got the post a bit clean and top down approach for installation exactly how I installed the container.

Good instructions, got things up and running very simply... The one thing I would make sure is a little more clear though, is this part...

Under the Networking section, and fill out the following fields. Don’t forget to click on the + plus sign. When done, scroll down for more settings.

You can choose any port you desire for Host Port. I used port 82 because I may use port 80 for something else.

Host IPHost PortExposed Port
    0.0.0.08280/tcp

To me, to someone who's new it may sound like this setting is optional... It's really not. OMV uses port 80, so you have to reassign a port here.

• Thanks. I really appreciate the feedback. I am trying to give something back to community.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So I ran the command:

Who is user UID 99 in your instances where piwigo is working? I think that might be my problem..

You don't have that user number assigned on your system. I'm assuming you have created a user under the "Users" section.... so you need to get that users info

Example, if you had a user "ken" on your system, from there, you'll clearly see your users UID and GID. I'm not really sure where the P comes from in docker setup.. :):

Code
    root@openmediavault:/# id ken
    uid=1000(ken) gid=100(users) groups=100(users),114(ssh)
    root@openmediavault:/#
  • You don't have that user number assigned on your system. I'm assuming you have created a user under the "Users" section.... so you need to get that users info
    Example, if you had a user "ken" on your system, from there, you'll clearly see your users UID and GID. I'm not really sure where the P comes from in docker setup.. :):

Code
    root@openmediavault:/# id ken
    uid=1000(ken) gid=100(users) groups=100(users),114(ssh)
    root@openmediavault:/#

I knew that I didn't have that username, I was trying to figure out who their UID of 99 was to map it to my system username/UID. I tried it as is (with UID 99), didn't work (piwigo would keep timing out), and I also tried it with UID 998 (admin on my system). Still timed out. I got it working today with UID 1000 (my first user) and it doesn't seem to be timing out (knock on wood).

• Offizieller Beitrag

I knew that I didn't have that username, I was trying to figure out who their UID of 99 was to map it to my system username/UID. I tried it as is (with UID 99), didn't work (piwigo would keep timing out), and I also tried it with UID 998 (admin on my system). Still timed out. I got it working today with UID 1000 (my first user) and it doesn't seem to be timing out (knock on wood).

I'ts not timing out because that's how it's supposed to work in the first place. I'm not sure what user is 99, as I've never seen it before and I'm not sure where he got that number. 998 is the admin user for the webUI, so I'm not particularly surprised it didn't work. Since most containers (unless you have the run in privileged mode trigger enabled) are designed to run as users not as root/admin, I'm not sure why you would have tried the admin user. You can id the admin user, but if you try to login at the console as the admin user, you'll get an error... so it only makes sense this user can't run containers.

Glad you got it working.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Another thing I noticed about this (admittedly I didn't really pay attention to the first part because I pretty much had all that done...

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# mkdir -p /sharedfolders/appdata/piwigo
    root@openmediavault:~# mkdir -p /sharedfolders/appdata/mariadb-photo
    root@openmediavault:~# cd /sharedfolders/appdata
    root@openmediavault:/sharedfolders/appdata# ls -lh
    total 8.0K
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Jun  6 20:16 mariadb-photo
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Jun  6 20:16 piwigo
    root@openmediavault:/sharedfolders/appdata#

First... the biggest problem. You created your "appdata" folder from the command line under sharedfolders. Now if someone only uses 1 or 2 dockers, or they have a very large OS drive... This won't be an issue. If they have a small OS drive (say an 8-16gig flash drive) and decide to use Plex/Emby dockers and continue with the way you you map your config folders, those databases (which can be very very large) are going to end up on their OS drive and could easily fill it up resulting in problems (there's been multiple threads here about this very issue). If this is done correctly, those large databases will be on one of the data drive file systems. That's why that directory can only be written by root, and not as a user. It's really only designed for folders to be there that are created by the webUI. The way your instructions are written, is assuming these are not the first two dockers someone has used, and they've followed technodad's and the other tutorials, and have a appdata folder created via the webUI.

Really... the way this should be done...

Create your Appdata folder in the webUI on one of the storage file systems...
    Then create your config folders the way you said (but you don't need to be root, and I wouldn't be to be honest)

• Offizieller Beitrag

@TechnoDadLife I got Piwigo up and running, and was able to upload and view photos, but I am wondering why a Photos folder is created in the Media folder. There doesn't appear to be any files stored there. They are batch stored in a folder deep within AppData/Piwigo, not sorted in folders. Am I doing something wrong, or is this the way Piwigo is intended to store photo images? I really like the Piwigo gallery look as opposed to the look of photos on Plex, but I much prefer the hierarchical storage of images in Plex.
    Thanks for the video. Very good.

(the other thread is not for support questions...)

This is likely a problem with how you mapped your photo directory.. If you mapped it to /pictures, that's why it is "buried".

Map it how I did below, and it will do what you want..

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes. My mistake. I deleted the post and reposted it in the General section.

Very interesting, I will try your settings here in a bit. Thanks.

Also, do you know if there is any support for RAW images, natively or with extensions. A quick look around Piwigo's site didn't seem to support it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I honestly don't know... I've not been through a ton of settings on it to be honest. I'd wanted to test it more thoroughly last night but I got to messing with Owncloud as a friend preferred it to Nextcloud.

Edit: I took a brief look and don't see a plugin for Raw images... Google turns this up (it doesn't look like raw images are supported as of March last year)

https://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28603

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!