Different write speeds to storage, acording to different file systems.

• Hi to all,
    This is my first post here.
    I did a lot of search, but did not find solution to my problem, so I am starting new thread.
    I am new to OMV an Linix- I have OMV installed since 1 month .
    My setup- old PC - Intel E2160 , 4GB DDR2 , 500GB HDD for data, 16 GB Transcend MLC flash drive for OMV.

In short- when I format my data HDD in ext4 and start moving data from another PC to OMV- I have write speed 5-15 MB/s ,even drops to 2-3 MB/s

When I format my data HDD in btrfs - I have write speed 55-65 MB/s
    All tests are with one big .mkv file- 3.5 GB

Data moving is across Gigabit LAN- every componet is Gigabit.
    Do you have any idea why this is happening?
    Thank you and please excuce my English.

• How often did you test with both filesystems so far? If the answer is 'only once' then maybe the culprit is something entirely different and the speed differences are not related to the filesystem in question (with large files ext4 and btrfs perform identical).

I tryed many times. Not only one time. Everything elese is the same. First my data hdd was ext4 formated. I tryed many times - allways the same low speed. Then I wiped the hdd and formated it in btrfs and tryed again many times- allways 50-60 MB/s - acceptable for me. It is interesting that speed allways start at very high rate- 115 MB /s and after 5-6 seconds drops to 4-5 MB/s(ext4) or 50-60 MB/s(btrfs)

• It is interesting that speed allways start at very high rate- 115 MB /s and after 5-6 seconds drops to 4-5 MB/s(ext4) or 50-60 MB/s(btrfs)

Normal behavior. First buffers in RAM get filled and once the buffers are flushed to disk the storage performance is important. As @getName() said you might want to test storage locally.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!