New folders do not inherit permissions [SOLVED]

• I have set up sabnzbd in a docker to download various files (tv and movies, depending on the type). I have two different folders set up for each type - \movies and \tv_shows. Both shares are available in both samba and cifs. The problem I am having is that when a new movie folder is created under \movie sabnzbd can not rename it (presumably in cifs share). I have the same issue in samba while trying to rename from windows. If I go to omv and re-apply the permissions via the UI I can then re-name the folder and all files underneath it. I do not have the same problem with the tv shows. I've compared all of the settings and they look identical. I set everything to run as root just eliminate a variable - no joy. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated (I am not a Linux expert by any stretch of the imagination).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nothing here so I asked the same question in the "general" area

Don't do that. I will move the thread. I removed the other thread.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The first question I'd ask, is this a new setup or has this configuration worked before?

You're assuming that this is a permissions related problem when, in fact, it may be a configuration item in the Docker itself.

What I would look at first is the sabnzbd docker itself.
    - First, the docker may need a UID or GID set in its configuration.
    - Second, would be taking a look at the volumes and mount points for the docker.
    - Third would be examining the setup of this particular docker, against the authors recommended setup, as it's laid out on the Docker Hub.

The bottom line? Go over the dockers configuration with a fine toothed comb. On the destination (receiving) folder, don't alter permissions until you've done a few tests to be sure the docker is working correctly. Then go from there.

If this particular sabnzbd docker doesn't work for you, try another. This is the most popular sabnzbd docker on the hub and it's well documented.

• Thanks so much for your response! It had not even occurred to me that the issue was the docker itself. I assumed that because I have the same permission issue hitting that folder from my pc that the issue was in the shared folder setup. Maybe the docker (which is on a different host) has the issue and is thus polluting the access of the newly-created folder?

To be honest I had trouble getting the docker set up correctly as this is all new to me. Yes, it is a new setup but I don't recall the rename ever working. Sickbeard (another docker) has no problems renaming these folders.

Here is what I have for the docker settings. I believe I set those values to 0 to solve an earlier problem.

• Thanks so much for your response! It had not even occurred to me that the issue was the docker itself. I assumed that because I have the same permission issue hitting that folder from my pc that the issue was in the shared folder setup. Maybe the docker (which is on a different host) has the issue and is thus polluting the access of the newly-created folder?

To be honest I had trouble getting the docker set up correctly as this is all new to me. Yes, it is a new setup but I don't recall the rename ever working. Sickbeard (another docker) has no problems renaming these folders.

Here is what I have for the docker settings. I believe I set those values to 0 to solve an earlier problem.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why would you set PID (process ID) to 0? I had to look that up. That's a kernel mode PID for swapper or shed, for paging.
    GID and UID 0 is the root group/user

On your Docker Page, in the upper window (Docker Images), what do you have under Repository.?

Also, if you're creating files and folders from your PC the PC user needs at least write on OMV. Do you know how to set that up.?

• Why would you set PID (process ID) to 0? I had to look that up. That's a kernel mode PID for swapper or shed, for paging.

On your Docker Page, in the upper window (Docker Images), what do you have under Repository.?

Also, if you're creating files and folders from your PC the PC user needs at least write on OMV. Do you know how to set that up.?

Thanks again! It's been a little while since I set this up but I believe that I set the value to 0 to try to fix a different problem I was having.

Just to be clear I am only accessing my /movies folder from my windows pc to fix the file name (sabnzbd doesn't have the authority to rename it). Once I re-apply the permissions in OMV I can rename it property.

I believe that you were looking for this?

Also, here is my volume setup in the docker

• You need to read the documentation for the images you use. You can not invent environment variables, they must be what the image expects. For example PGID and PUID are correct, not what you have used.

And setting those to a value of 0 is poor practice as this tells the image to run as the root user. You should never do this unless you have a valid reason, know what you are doing, or it is required by the image.

For Volume and Bind mount Container Paths, type a / in the box to get a list of what the container expects and use those.

You should delete that running image and start over, but not until you have read the documentation.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK, I think I have an idea of what may be happening here.

Actually, you need to go to this -> link. This page has the documentation for your Docker, written by the Dockers creator. Read the info under User / Group Identifiers and regarding permissions.

• A link to the documentation for an image is available from within the plugin itself. Click on the Info button after selecting the image.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Starting from scratch:

I don't have a usenet account so I couldn't fully test the Docker. In any case, the following is what I have for a configuration. (This is 3 captures of the run image dialog. Scroll through.)

Don't worry about the ports. In bridge mode, they're 1 to 1 and self populate.

In the following;
    The PUID (1000) is for my first user and the PGID (100) is for the default "users" group. The rest of the environ variables are defaults.

______________________________________________________________________________

From gderf's advice, put a / in the Container path and choices come up. The host path side of the following is my preference but it would work for you if you want to use it. The R/O toggles should be grey.

I'm guessing the additional paths you had in your container were a result of configuration inside of sabnazbd.
    In any case, once it's running correctly, you could add paths (carefully). Once a container is working like it should, it's best to leave it alone.

• Why would you set PID (process ID) to 0? I had to look that up. That's a kernel mode PID for swapper or shed, for paging.

Thanks so much to everyone that replied. This was my first docker experience and I think I read too many guides and watched too many videos and at some point became confused. I am a noob with this but I did spend a lot of time on it before asking here. I appreciate the time that you took to respond and hope to pay it forward elsewhere.

- The permissions issue is fixed. Not sure if it was changing the PUID and GUID to 1000 or changing permission to 777 inside of sabnzdb. I re-read the documentation with fresh (and a little more experienced) eyes and it made much more sense this time around.
    - There was a secondary issue inside of sabnzbd. In the rename area for movies somehow somehow the 'movie' category had become deselected

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!