First build

• Morning everyone,

I am getting close to my first home Nas+ build ( I say Nas plus because this does way more than a simple Nas)

Currently all my media and backups are handled by a WD mirror with a separate Centos box running Plex and my unifi controller.

My plans right now are to consolidate the two using hardware that I have accumulated over the last couple of years ( the current Plex server is a i5 560 ( or 650))

I would like to run Plex, unifi UNMS, radarr, sonarr and file shares for my windows boxes.

The hardware I have is as follows;

AMD 1700
    Asrock x370 Taichi
    16gb Gskill 3600
    Asus 1050ti
    6x2tb WD Reds
    2x128gb SanDisk x300 SSDs
    1x240gb OCZ Maxiops
    1x128 OCZ Vertex 4
    EVGA 650w PSU

Right now I am leaning towards Snap and MergeFS for storage, but I saw that you can use ZFS in OMV and was wondering if there are benefits to using it over Snap+Merge?

I am trying to wrap my head around dockers but I am still in the dark, are they VMs? Would it be best to use a docker for Plex, radarr, sonarr and unifi? Or would it be better to install KVM and use that?

If I use a pair of usb keys with the flash plugin will that be better use of my available storage over using the 2 128gb SSDs?

Appreciate any links or information that anyone may have :)

Cheers,

Chris

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am trying to wrap my head around dockers but I am still in the dark, are they VMs?

No. They use the host's kernel and there is no virtualization or emulation involved.

Would it be best to use a docker for Plex, radarr, sonarr and unifi?

Dockers are perfect for those tasks. See https://forum.openmediavault.o…ntermediate-and-Advanced/

Right now I am leaning towards Snap and MergeFS for storage, but I saw that you can use ZFS in OMV and was wondering if there are benefits to using it over Snap+Merge?

More of a personal preference. Try them both in a VM.

If I use a pair of usb keys with the flash plugin will that be better use of my available storage over using the 2 128gb SSDs?

Why a pair? Install omv on one usb key along with the flashmemory plugin. Get everything setup and clone the finished install for safe keeping. You could clone it to the other usb key every time you make major changes.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the response, looks like this will work nicely for me.

The only thing I am unsure of is the hard drive setup.

Obviously I will want to use some sort of parity setup, but what about the SSDs? Should I even bother with them if I am installing to a usb drive? Can they be used as the home for docker? Cache drives?

Cheers,

Chris

• Offizieller Beitrag

Obviously I will want to use some sort of parity setup, but what about the SSDs? Should I even bother with them if I am installing to a usb drive? Can they be used as the home for docker? Cache drives?

They can be used as data drives just like a regular hard drive which means you could use them as a docker home. To use as a cache drive would require setup outside the OMV web interface.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!