UnionFS + SnapRAID Issues

• Hey Guys,

I've searched forums and found some information regarding my issue.. but I'm not sure if it's identical. The post which most resembles my problem, I think, is MergerFS folders not mounted in /sharedfolders

So, I've created a UnionFS drive pool consisting of 2 hdds, with 1 hdd as a Parity drive for SnapRAID. I've then created a Plex server using the linuxserver/plex docker container, and pointed all my Plex mount drives to /sharedfolders/Media and etc.. After this I did some testing and pulled some files into /sharedfolders/Media using lftp, which then allowed plex to work perfectly. My initial thought was that these folders were linked to the actual raw drive location, and that putting anything into /sharedfolders/ would actual store the files in /srv/<uuid>, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

So my questions are:
    1. Is that actual the default behavior? If so, what's the point of the /sharedfolders directory on my main installation drive?
    2. If not, then how can I go about getting /sharedfolders to work as I expect above? Is that even possible?

Here is the section from my syslog which may be of some help to anyone!

Jun 10 18:07:55 omv systemd[1]: Mounted /srv/07b2b27d-5220-460b-986e-1b7bd4bf1083.
    Jun 10 18:07:55 omv systemd[1]: sharedfolders-Downloads.mount: Starting requested but asserts failed.
    Jun 10 18:07:55 omv systemd[1]: Assertion failed for Mount shared folder Downloads to /sharedfolders/Downloads.
    Jun 10 18:07:55 omv systemd[1]: sharedfolders-config.mount: Starting requested but asserts failed.
    Jun 10 18:07:55 omv systemd[1]: Assertion failed for Mount shared folder config to /sharedfolders/config.
    Jun 10 18:07:55 omv systemd[1]: sharedfolders-AppData.mount: Starting requested but asserts failed.
    Jun 10 18:07:55 omv systemd[1]: Assertion failed for Mount shared folder AppData to /sharedfolders/AppData.
    Jun 10 18:07:55 omv systemd[1]: sharedfolders-Media.mount: Starting requested but asserts failed.
    Jun 10 18:07:55 omv systemd[1]: Assertion failed for Mount shared folder Media to /sharedfolders/Media.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My initial thought was that these folders were linked to the actual raw drive location

It's the other way around, so /sharedfolders/<foldername> is the relative path; /srv/dev-disk-by-label is the absolute path. When configuring volume and bind mounts in Docker and you're using UnionFS the absolute path is the option to use.

After this I did some testing and pulled some files into /sharedfolders/Media using lftp,

?( why, I'm assuming you have set up smb shares.

BTW if you have read that thread all it offers is a workaround, this may also be of use.

• So I deleted my shared drives and somewhat started from scratch with a new plex docker container. I pointed everything at the absolute merged drive path @ /srv/<uuid> and everything is going well with plex

It's the other way around, so /sharedfolders/<foldername> is the relative path; /srv/dev-disk-by-label is the absolute path. When configuring volume and bind mounts in Docker and you're using UnionFS the absolute path is the option to use.

So.. I'm not entirely a linux pro, but I'm still confused here. Even after the changes above, and then moving all my media into /srv/<uuid>/media .. the relative path /sharedfolders/ still contain absolutely no data. Am i supposed to be able to view the files which are on the pool within the /sharedfolders/.. ?

?( why, I'm assuming you have set up smb shares.
    BTW if you have read that thread all it offers is a workaround, this may also be of use.

well i used lftp because all my media is on a remote server right now that i'm migrating locally, this is my first NAS build. but the why into /sharedfolders/ instead of /srv/<uuid> is still just because i dont understand what the point of /sharedfolders/ is ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

well i used lftp because all my media is on a remote server right now that i'm migrating locally,

:) Ah! now I understand.

i dont understand what the point of /sharedfolders/ is

It's a bind mount makes it easier for users to navigate, however this doesn't function when using MergerFS your mount point is the fuse.mount point.
    In your first post the thread you referenced read from post 46 to 51 page 3, the one I referenced was regarding an Emby config it's pertinent because Docker configs don't work on MergerFS, have a look here you have to change the options in the MergerFS plugin.

So.. I'm not entirely a linux pro

Neither am I you learn as you go and make notes to refer back too. :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!