Boot drive mirror satadom

• Why x86? Is OMV only x86 right now?

I like ZFS, but also like BTRFS. Also like how BTRFS is built in and maintained.
    Where as ZFS requires changing kernel and plugin and other maintenance factors.
    I'm also a bit worried about upgradeability when using ZFS especially as plugins.
    Feel like the direction and support is heading towards better BTRFS (which I used in synology and currently use in unRAID) so I'd rather not have to copy all my data off and rebuild again in 2/3 years.

• Why x86? Is OMV only x86 right now?

No, but on x86 you pull in the Proxmox kernel (+ ZFS plugin) and are done. On the various ARM boards I created OMV images for it always depends on which kernel you use, whether you're able to build ZFS via dkms and how stable kernel support is there in general. That's why I use btrfs on ARM but ZFS on x86 (disclaimer: I don't use OMV on x86 anyway).

Your 80TB are a massive amount of data. If it's only data without any value I would be fine with this but if these 80TB are important this sounds like a nightmare (time to backup, rebuild/resilver and to restore -- without a second host where data is synced to I would never set up a filer with 80TB. Disclaimer: I'm biased due to doing storage for a living).

• Offizieller Beitrag

in the sense that when OMV goes to v5, I dont need to worry about my data in doing a fresh install.

OMV5 will support ZFS, just as OMV4 does now. It's OMV6 where the BTRFS proposal may take effect.

Looking at this from a support angle, you wouldn't have to worry about your data. Even if the "BTRFS Only" proposal is implemented in OMV6, it's still unlikely that ZFS support would simply be shut off. It's very possible that ZFS support would continue with a plugin, just as it is now. And the plugin approach for providing ZFS, in OMV, is the outcrop of an incompatible license. It's a legal issue.

so I'd rather not have to copy all my data off and rebuild again in 2/3 years.

In recent versions, OMV releases have been roughly following Debian releases. Debian 9 is the base distro for OMV4 which is "estimated" for EOL on Jan, 2020, with LTS running until 2022. That's 2+ years for the current version, if you wanted to stretch it.
    If Debian 10 goes mainstream next year and OMV5 kicks off with it, Debian 10 should run 3 to 4 years. With a rough estimate for EOL, OMV5 may run until 2023 with an extra 2 years for the underlying Debain OS or 2025. With 2023 to 2025 as the timeline, if you decided to use ZFS today, it will be viable for years to come.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!