How to connect two OMV-machines over Internet

• OMV 4.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to connect two OMV-machines over Internet

Hi,

What's the recommended way to connect two OMV-boxes over Internet?
      I want to have one OMV as a off-site backup for some stuff and place it at my office, but I don't have access to the company router/firewall, so it would be hard to use the OpenVPN AS in OMV at the office.
      At home I have a pfSense that I can connect via both OpenVPN and IPsec tunnels

I guess the most practical way would be if it was possible to use either IPsec or OpenVPN client to connec to my pfSense, but since that's not an option in OMV it won't work.
      So any suggestion how to solve this?
    • no_jah wrote:

I want to have one OMV as a off-site backup for some stuff and place it at my office, but I don't have access to the company router/firewall
      You might think about the reason why you 'don't have access to the company router/firewall' and whether the people responsible for your company's security will be happy about you digging a hole through their firewall. If in doubt simply ask the IT staff since while technically possible to establish an OpenVPN from the inside to your other OMV box you most probably give them a good reason to fire you.
    • tkaiser wrote:

no_jah wrote:

I want to have one OMV as a off-site backup for some stuff and place it at my office, but I don't have access to the company router/firewall
      You might think about the reason why you 'don't have access to the company router/firewall' and whether the people responsible for your company's security will be happy about you digging a hole through their firewall. If in doubt simply ask the IT staff since while technically possible to establish an OpenVPN from the inside to your other OMV box you most probably give them a good reason to fire you.
      Maybe I should clarify the situation a bit.

The office is at a "office hotel" where you get a Internet connection which is behind a router, and I use OpenVPN client on my computer all day long, so that's not the issue.
    • Then you could setup port forwarding in your home so that port 443 externally points to your OMV's OpenVPN port and then let establish the OMV box in the office a site-to-site VPN to your home box. This way the firewall in between shouldn't be an issue since all the FW sees is encrypted traffic on the well known HTTPS port originating from inside.
    • Docker -> letsencrypt for https -> duckdns for ddns -> plex for video streaming

My setup is quite robust and can be accessed via web and is secured with https, also control my rig with WOL so I can keep energy consumption low when I don't use it, and for a failsafe the server is connected to a smart socket so I can control it via phone app, and another failsafe is my home router which is also setup to a ddns so if something happens with the server I can always manage my router to diagnose.

Short answer docker my friend and install as many apps as you want
      Theme changer tool: Unofficial OMV Theme Changer tool, css themes and UI manipulation
      Theme changer plugin: OMV-Theme plugin, theme changer and UI customisation

omv-theme repo: github.com/virgil-av/omv-theme
      openmediavault-theme repo: github.com/virgil-av/openmediavault-theme

If you appreciate what i do just smash that like
    • tkaiser wrote:

no_jah wrote:

how do I set that up in the OMV OpenVPN control panel?
      I would assume you don't since this is OpenVPN (VPN server) while you need client functionality here since the box in the office has to establish the VPN connection to go through the office's firewall.
      Exactly, but why did you suggest something that is not possible.
      Of course it's possible to do just about anything via CLI, but I would like to avoid messing with that?

I just think it a bit strange that there isn't a OpenVPN client plugin for OMV, there are many uses for that.
    • no_jah wrote:

if it was possible to use either IPsec or OpenVPN client to connec to my pfSense, but since that's not an option in OMV it won't work

no_jah wrote:

why did you suggest something that is not possible

Huh?

• OMV is a NAS appliance running on Debian
      • For various stuff there exist plugins (e.g. to let the OMV box become a VPN server)
      • Since OMV sits on top of plain Debian almost everything you can do with Debian/Linux you can do on an OMV box
      • If there's not a plugin for a task then you most probably need to either write one or configure stuff the usual way
      • Connecting with one OMV box to another through a VPN established by the first box will work. It's just a web search away