REQ: Tutorial for Setting up Transmission to go through Wireguard Container with Nginx proxy

• So I'm fairly new to OMV, linux and Docker but learning and it's been a steep but fairly enjoyable journey getting to grips with the Docker containers which are fantastic for adding functionality.

Not sure the etiquette or what is considered essential/obvious information for anyone to be able to help so please ask if I miss out crucial info about my setup. I'm trying (like many others apparently) to get Transmission to have it's data funnelled through a VPN cointainer (I'd prefer Wireguard if possible as I have set up and run a Streisand server on Amazon Web Services).

Ideally, I'd like to have a container per-service approach with a container for the VPN and any other services rather than an "all-in-one" approach which I've seen are available.

I've Googled this to death and my brain is melting X/ feeling like I'm getting somewhere and then the final details are nowhere to be found so I really hope someone can help.

I've got https://hub.docker.com/r/activeeos/wireguard-docker installed with the name WIREGUARD

alongside https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/transmission with the name TRANSMISSION

Transmission is set to use the WIREGUARD container for connectivity with the following "Extra arguments": --net=container:WIREGUARD and *seems* to work although without being able to access Transmission I can't test it.

The Wireguard container is configured as per the instructions here: https://github.com/activeeos/wireguard-docker

Now I tried and tried to get an Nginx container up and running as a proxy (tried both the official one and the linuxserver one) and modified the .conf file to try to be able to access the transmission web interface which is otherwise inaccessible while linked to the Wireguard container but I just couldn't get it working.

Searching Reddit I found a link to This page which supposedly details how to "Create a container behind the PIA VPN" which I thought I could use to create a docker network (as --link mentioned elsewhere in forums and guides is apparently deprecated) and access the Transmission webui.

However, that page includes commands such as "docker run ... --net=container:pia --name=myservice myservice" with the "..." clearly expecting me to know what goes there and I couldn't figure out how to fill in the blanks or put the pieces together.

I've reached a dead end with this and was hoping someone could provide a tutorial or list of step by step OMV based instructions using either the UI or Shellinabox explaining how to get Transmission to use Wireguard (or OpenVPN if i have to) and how to forward the Transmission Webui through either Nginx or using Docker network settings.

How do I set up a Docker network so that I can access the Transmission UI while it's using the Wireguard container? Or how do I set up an linuxserver/nginx container so that it allows me to access the Transmission UI?

• Consider using Deluge for torrents with a SOCKS5 proxy instead of a VPN. The setup is painless and it just works.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Consider using Deluge for torrents with a SOCKS5 proxy instead of a VPN. The setup is painless and it just works.

Wow - all those hours I spent trying to figure out the workings of Docker and VPN configurations and it was potentially so simple all along (of course!) I'd still like to learn how to get the VPN thing going eventually and learning Docker is really interesting but this is a fantastic idea - thanks very much for getting back to me and letting me know about this. :thumbup: I'm going to install the Deluge Docker container and set it up with Shadowsocks on my Streisand server. Hopefully it'll work as expected. Thanks again!

Turns out I spoke too soon and there's a bit of a snag. Deluge is asking for a username for the Shadowsocks with Auth option and my Streisand server doesn't seem to specify one as far as I can see. I'll check again tomorrow but fairly sure. No amount of googling has answered the question of what to put in the username field Ive seen that tinyproxy might be an option but I'll have to check.that tomorrow too to see if it's a standard username/password combo. Great idea to use Shadowsocks but as has been the way of things today, I've been scuppered at the final hurdle.

As an aside, I've seen mention that Shadowsocks doesn't handle UDP which could be an issue with using it with Deluge?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

• Deluge supports two types of SOCKS5, with or without authentication.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Deluge supports two types of SOCKS5, with or without authentication.

My Streisand server has detailed instructions for setting up a Socks connection but doesn't specify anywhere what the "username" required by Deluge needs to be, if there even is one. I've tried without a username entered and also without authentication. I've tried to find out what Streisand sets as the default username for Shadowsocks and/or how to get Deluge to ignore the username but haven't figured out the correct settings. If i figure it out I'll come back and update but I'm thinking now to reinstall my Streisand server with Tinyproxy support and try to use that. Shame I couldn't get Shadowsocks to work though...

UPDATE: I couldn't get Shadowsocks to work which is a shame but I finally got the haugene/transmission-openvpn Docker container to work with my Streisand server. Was easier than expected in the end I just needed to copy the ovpn file to OMV and specify it correctly in the Environment variables which I'd consistently messed up previously. I did manage to run the configuration script to edit my ovpn file as specified in the documentation but turns out it didn't edit anything at all. If anyone wanting a similar setup needs instructions on how to get it working let me know and I'd be happy to help.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!