accessing services on an OMV in virtualbox

• I'm running OMV4 in virtualbox on a windows machine. The virtualbox network uses a bridged adapter, the OMV machine always receives the same IP address 192.168.0.115 from the router.
    I've put the WebGUI on port 6003 in general settings. And entered these details for IPv4 Interface: Method:static, Address:192.168.0.115, Netmask:255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.0.2(=router) and DNS 8.8.8.8

On this windows machine, I can access the OMV WebGUI on 192.168.0.115:6003.

I've enabled Port Forwarding on the router, directing TCP on port 6003 to 192.168.0.115 on port 6003.
    However, I'm unable to reach the webgui (or any other OMV service) through the <public IP address>:6003

What extra steps should I take to make services running on OMV in a virtualbox reachable from outside the network?

• This article suggests that it's not the Windows firewall I should adapt, as I'm using Bridge mode:

• The firewall software on your host computer isn’t blocking the connections. (This only applies to NAT mode with port forwarding – the host computer’s firewall doesn’t interfere in bridged networking mode.)

and indeed, if I switch off the Windows firewall, I still can't access the OMV WebGUI from outside the network.

I'm guessing, the OMV firewall won't block anything by default?

I have the feeling I'm missing something obvious.

• When I reboot OMV ín the virtual machine, there is a very short (few sec) timeframe during the reboot process in which OMV actually ís reachable from outside the network. After these few seconds, ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT is back.
    Which makes me think there's a piece of OMV configuration which loads during boot which makes OMV services (& webgui) unreachable from an outside network.

• the OMV machine always receives the same IP address 192.168.0.115 from the router

What about reverting back to DHCP then if it's always the same address (as it's almost always the case with DHCP in this century. And usually modern router allow to set a static DHCP lease at the router's side too)? At least just for testing purposes...

BTW: There is no 'OMV firewall' and there's also nothing like 'an outside network' when it's about 'OMV services'. Your router should do NAT and as such packets that originate from the outside get headers rewritten so any connection attempt from the output looks like a connection originating from your router. The packets that go back are sent from OMV to the router and there the NAT engine rewrites the headers again and send the packages to the outside.

• Disabling the static IPv4 option in the Interface page of the OMV Network configuration and relying on the DHCP of the router and the router option to "Always assign this network device the same IPv4 address" actually did the trick.

Many thanks!

• Sorry for the late reply. I used the static IP address on an older (non-VM) OMV machine which worked fine. Maybe I followed the guide you mentioned. The resasoning was that setting a static IP address below 100 frees up the DHCP assigned range above 100 and I could choose a memorable fixed IP address for the server(s).

I just found out that the main reason for the OMV WebGUI being available for a couple of seconds during boot but then disappearing is/was the transmission/openVPN docker booting at the end of the startup process.
    So figuring out how to exclude all non-transmission data from the OpenVPN is my next step ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!