SFTP setup

• New user here. I’m evaluating OMV as a possible replacement to an aging Synology DS412+ in my home network. I plan to build a larger system eventually but for the eval it’s running on an Odroid HC2. BTW, that works a lot better than I expected.

Anyway, I stumbled a bit setting up sftp to test file transfer between systems in my network. The plugin installed ok and I added my user account to the sftp-access group. I enabled sftp with password authentication and access to the sftp-access group only. I tried to connect using transmit on my MacBook Air, accepted the ecdsa signature on the first connection and promptly received a ‘Couldn’t connect to server’ error. Tried to look at the sftp logs from the gui and got an error “Failed to open log file (filename=/var/log/openmediavault-sftp.log).” I didn’t think I’d need to do this but went back to the sftp settings and added my username to the access list in addition to being in the sftp-access group. Same error. I can use sftp connections from transmit to my DS412+ and a couple of other systems in my network so don’t believe it’s an issue with the laptop.

So, two questions:

1) I can ssh to the omv server and see the /sftp/user directory has been created with drwx--S---+ permissions. Does that look correct?
    2) Where do I look for the actual sftp logs?

Thanks,

/bob

• Offizieller Beitrag

First of all, you don't have to use the plugin to enable sftp. The plugin enables a second sftp only server. sftp will work on the default ssh server. It just doesn't chroot the files to a special directory with the specified bind mounted shares.

Tried to look at the sftp logs from the gui and got an error “Failed to open log file (filename=/var/log/openmediavault-sftp.log).”

This is a common error because the log file isn't create until there is a log written. You can click the clear button to create it but it doesn't change the fact that there were no logs yet. You are looking for auth errors which are typically in /var/log/auth.log.

see the /sftp/user directory has been created with drwx--S---+ permissions. Does that look correct?

The plugin doesn't create permissions. It just bind mounts the sharedfolders which will use the permissions you set on that shared folder.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello friends of OMV :)

I have some problems installing Plugins: I got some Error messages in the end of the install prozess,... there are a lot of lines telling tere is an error. And these lines never stop... anyway: when i cancel this, the plugins seem to work anyway...

But now, sftp plugin wont work. I can see the sftp menue, but i can not connect from other machines...

Can anyone have a look, if you can see whats wrong?!?

Thank you ?(

/edit: got it managed here

7.0.4-2 (Sandworm) // ASRock J5040-ITX with Intel(R) Pentium(R) Silver J5040 CPU @ 2.00GHz // be quiet! ATX 500W (BN46) // 2x4GB Samsung M471A5244BB0-CRC

Fractal Design Node 304 // 4-Port PCIE to SATA 3.0 ControllerCard // 1x 128GB SSD for OS and 2x 4TB, 1x 5TB and 3x 8TB HDD as one big fuse.mergerfs space (no need for raid parity)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Kamikaze01 ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!