Backup strategy from mac to OMV NAS

• I am trying to setup a simple local backup strategy for my home network/config and wanted to get some tips and ideas. I think I have most of the config setup - just need some help with the strategy/approach.

This is my setup:

Mac mini - main server / computer. wired to network. has internal SSD (macOS - APFS) + 2TB internal storage (DATA - Mac OS extended)
    Rock64 - primary NAS (OMV4). wired to network. 3TB storage (2 disks as single drive using btrfs) thanks @tkaiser for instruction on how to set this up
    RPI3 - data backup NAS (OMV4). wired to network. 2TB storage (1 disk using btrfs) - for redundancy

What I think I should do is...
    1. backup important stuff from my mac (iPhoto library iTunes, Docs etc) from the SSD to the 2TB internal storage on the same Mac (daily) - using a backup app called Get Backup Pro...
    2. use rsync on primary NAS to copy/sync data from Mac to the NAS (daily)
    3. use rsync on backup NAS to copy/sync data from primary NAS to the backup NAS (weekly) - as a redundant copy.

I am not using Time Machine on my Mac as I have had trouble with backing up time machine to the NAS (permissions, locked files etc)

My key question is really about handling incremental backups from my Mac to the NAS. I think there are issues with hard links when these are backed up to a NAS.

Once I get everything working locally, the plan is to move the data backup NAS offsite.

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed!

Jata

• My key question is really about handling incremental backups from my Mac to the NAS

TimeMachine (on OMV4 using Netatalk/AFP, later with OMV5 using Samba/CIFS)

• Create a new OMV user called whatever with a password (that's always the first step you need to do on an OMV install anyway, saves you so much troubles if you do NOT skip this step)
    • Assuming you're on OMV4 create a new AFP share with appropriate permissions (admin and user read/write), enable the TimeMachine checkbox
    • On your Mac open System Preferences --> TimeMachine --> Add Backup-Volume
    • optional: enable encryption (highly recommended), let the password be stored in Keychain and if you use a password manager, store it there too (without this password you won't be able to access your backups so choose one with high entropy but easy to type since in case of disaster recovery if you have to setup your whole Mac from scratch you need to enter the passphrase)
    • Choose your new volume, use the logon credentials from before (and let them be saved in Keychain of course) and wait until the first full backup has finished
    • optional: now that you know how much data will be backed up set a quota for this AFP share with 120% the capacity. This will result in TimeMachine on the Mac thinning up older backups and you don't end up with too much snapshots
    • optional: if you want to speed up the first backup enter this as root in Terminal.app on the Mac: sysctl debug.lowpri_throttle_enabled=0
    • Test restore

The last step is the most important one since only a working backup defines a functional backup.

• Thanks @tkaiser that's helpful.

Is there anyway to 'copy' a TM backup from a HD on my mac to a NAS? I think this would be my ideal solution.

1. TM backup from SSD to internal HD on my Mac
    2. Some way of doing an incremental backup of the TM backup to a NAS (redundancy)

I'm thinking that if I create a seperate partition / disk on my Mac HD for the TM backup. then use Getbackup to clone this disk to my NAS.

Thoughts?

BTW - have seen that the new RPI 4 is out and even you say it is a decent upgrade. I never thought I would hear that!

• Thoughts?

TimeMachine directly. Backing up the entire Mac. Think about that you can do a disaster decovery with this setup. Throw your Mac out of the window, get a new one, start it, choose 'Restore from Backup', let the whole installation being restored from OMV and start over.

TM is great.

have seen that the new RPI 4 is out and even you say it is a decent upgrade. I never thought I would hear that!

Huh?

Every former RPi variant was total crap for the NAS use case. The new hardware is sufficient and performs really well. Only downside: you must love to run a proprietary closed source OS since ThreadX is still there: https://ownyourbits.com/2019/0…ng-with-the-raspberry-pi/

• Im happy with my rock64. Works well and have a RPI3 for redundant backup of the rock - so no immediate need for a new RPI4...

Thanks for the tips regarding TM. The only issue with TM to a NAS directly is that it is quite slow when you need to find/recover a file. That's why I wanted TM to backup to internal HD (good performance) and then back this up to a NAS. I see the advantage of your suggestion is that I can TM both the SSD and HD at the same time if I use the NAS as the destination.

Thanks again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!