OMV virtualbox hell

• My OMV virtualbox install has gone to sh*t. It kept complaining that it couldn't log in to vboxweb something or other, so I uninstalled the plugin hoping to reinstall, but now I get:

Failed to execute XPath query '/config/services/virtualbox'.

It's just error after error after error with this thing. I can't even dismiss this error. I should have know better than to trust a f-----g PHP project. It's fallen apart like a house of cards, as PHP always does....

• Where is the plugin log stored? I can't even re-install virtualbox and all I see in the useless little window is:

welll I can't even cut and paste from the useless little window, but it's just something about Bad Gateway followed by

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..errror>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> over and over.

sigh... what a joke. You know, it's time for software "engineers" (lol!) to consider that maybe their work does more harm than good.

• Offizieller Beitrag

sigh... what a joke. You know, it's time for software "engineers" (lol!) to consider that maybe their work does more harm than good.

Well, unlike Microsoft, here you can get your purchase price back, no questions asked. :) (Sorry for the poor sense of humor.)

You might have to rebuild. It happens. Even with commercial products like Microsoft - I've had hardware, device drivers, etc., that resulted in the Blue Screen of Death. This is nothing new.

Over the years where I've been using OMV (on 3 different platforms), I've had three problems that I couldn't fix or recover. Two of them were the result of issues in the reconfiguration/misconfiguration of add-on's. (If a clean Linux configuration is left alone,typically, it's solid as a rock.)
    The solution? Back out of it with OS backup. (That's not to say that looking through logs for something obvious shouldn't be attempted, but time is a factor as well and forensic analysis may end up at the same conclusion - rebuild or recover from backup.)

If you do rebuild, take a look at this -> guide and consider using USB thumbdrives for boot drives. Why? Before upgrading or changing anything, you can clone your boot drive. (Offline cloning is dirt simple.) If something goes wrong, with a known working clone in hand, you'll be able to gracefully back out of problems or mistakes.

My sincere regrets for the PITA, but if you get a good backup routine in place, you'll fine that recovery is much easier and far faster than a rebuild.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!