VirtualBox - HASSIO > Error after couple of days [noob]

• Hi all,

First off: I am a happy camper with OMV and its options and capabilities.

I think there are a number of areas where I could use some pointers, guidance or confirmation I did or didnt do things correctly. 1, SSD SMART data, 2 Virtualbox correct setup with rights, and 3 maybe even on best settings for virtual OS (HASSIO) itself.
    Here is my issue in I guess is called story-mode. Please bear with me.

I am probably my own worst enemy at times. Now, after using a Pi3 for a couple of months for HomeAssistant (HASSIO), I decided to migrate the setup to a virtual environment. Faster, more stable, no write errors on SDcards or anything, snapshots possible.
    I have the OS working quite well now, the HA setup, but the virtual OS is not set up propperly I think.
    I run the virtual OS in bridged mode

Symptom: after an VirtualOS uptime of >2 days the server becomes unresponsive / lagging. When I open Virtualbox again as admin I see this.

The text under Details is shown in the spoiler below.

When I see the above screen, I press OK. and the Virtualbox loading circle keeps spinning until the ends of time... probably.
    When press F5, the VirtualBox screen does show.

To get the virtual OS up n running again, I need to stop it manually and start it again. It is snappy again then.
    Attached is screenshot of the virtualbox main screen. IF you require more detaild info, please ask for it. I will provide.

I did some more reading, and I saw somewhere this could be due to bad disks n error on it etc.
    At that time, I did noticed my old Vertex SSD (60GB) was showing signs of failure in SMART. This SSD is the operatirng disk for OMV, so I replaced it with a new Samsung 860 250GB Version. It was from the stone ages anyway, one of the first vertex ssd's and held out pretty well. I used clonezilla to do a SSD > SSD copy action, where after I increased the SSD size on the Samsung to make use of the 250GB agian. Anyways...
    Funny thing though, is when I run SMART and look at the results, It looks to me (as a total noob as I dont understand this part very well) that the SSD is still wonky.
    Attached is the SMART report.

Now, after replacing the SSD (=OS disk for OMV) I still get the same errors. I am beginning to suspect when I copied the image with clonezilla, I did this incorrectly including the erors or something. I dont know if this is possible with SMART data.

I did some more reading, and my issues could also be related to users and rights. But to be honest, I am at a loss how to tackle this.
    I am hoping so much someone here can point me to the right direction.

My Setup.
    I have attached my full report as well.
    content1561066771.zip

So again; I think there are a number of areas where I could use some pointers, guidance or confirmation I did or didnt do things correctly. 1, SSD SMART data, 2 Virtualbox correct setup with rights, and 3 maybe even on best settings for virtual OS (HASSIO) itself.

:)

Kind regards,
    Ed

• Offizieller Beitrag

Symptom: after an VirtualOS uptime of >2 days the server becomes unresponsive / lagging. When I open Virtualbox again as admin I see this.

I haven't got VB running on my current server but I had it running on my previous box, TBH I never used the PHP WebAdmin part other than to set up the virtual machine. I would start the virtual machine from the GUI, if I remember there is a tab that shows the VM's installed I would select the VM and hit run, once it displayed started I would RDP into the VM.
    I had W7 running in a VM but my workstation at that time was Linux Mint, and I would shutdown W7 as if it was a physical machine.

• Hi Geaves,

First; thank you for reading and taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

I hear what you are saying. I could start the VM from within the GUI of OMV itself. You are right. Next time I will do that.

I do not believe that will prevent any of my issues. This is an assumption on my side though, which could be wrong ofc.
    I (should) only start the VM once, where after I connect to the software itself through the briged IP.

@ryecoaaron did I miss something? ghehehe.. a post deleted and the boy or girl is banned.. curious

• Offizieller Beitrag

did I miss something? ghehehe.. a post deleted and the boy or girl is banned.. curious

They had random looking username, three posts of no value, and one of the posts in another thread was pointing to a completely unrelated url that seemed questionable. If they aren't a spammer, my bad but I doubt it. They can always sign up with a new account and ask me why. We get enough real human spammers that I don't wait until they cause a lot of problems.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I (should) only start the VM once, where after I connect to the software itself through the briged IP.

I always looked at VB via OMV similar to MS Hyper-V, use the set up page in this case PHP WebAdmin, then use OMV (Hyper-V Manager) to start the VM then used RDP to the VM. I could never get the console to work in the PHP WebAdmin hence it was a set and forget, the only other thing I did was to backup/download the .vxd about once a week via ftp simply because if it died I had something to restore.

• Little bump..

I am still having issues with the stability of the virtual OS. within a week it is unreachable. Even when I start the server from within OMV GUI.

@ geaves, I am doing good copys and backups now. :) thanks for that tip.

Anyone who can have a look at those SMART results I posted? I hope someone can give me some comfort things are OK in that area.

Regards,

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!