HPE gen7 - Error: attempt to read or write outside of disk ‘hd0’

• I'm having trouble setting up OMV on an HPE ProLiant ML110 G7 Server.

I have been struggling to get this set up. I installed from a USB thumb drive to a second thumb drive plugged into the motherboard.
    I removed all the hard drives and the optical drive during installation.
    The installation said it was successful.
    After installation is said to restart and I was hit with a Grub error.

Attempting Boot From USB DriveKey (C:)
    Error: attempt to read or write outside of disk ‘hd0’ .
    Entering rescue mode …
    Grub rescue>

Is this an issue related to installing USB to USB?
    I tried read some thread on this issue but didn't understand how they resolved the issue.

• Yes, you have to change the boot device in grub then update grub have a look here

I've searched USB to USB install and seen that this is not an uncommon issue and I understand that the system is likely trying to book from the install USB which is removed instead of the OS USB.
    I don't understand much else as I don't have much experience with Linux.

After the system says "Grub rescue" - is that "logged in on the console as root"?

Zitat

Easy one: just start a console on the finally running system, log in as root/get root rights and use the build in tools that the grub software provides for baking there own configuration cake:
    Simply run this one command:

root# update-grub

How do I get root access?
    I've tried some of the commands but it keeps returning "Unknown command".

Update****

I've been reading up on grub error and may have made a little progress.
    The ls command returned a bunch of drives, so I restarted with all the storage drives pulled out.

The ls command returns (hd0) (hd0,msdos1) (fd0) (fd1)
    ls (hd0,msdos1) returns Filesystem is EXT2 - this is probably something for Windows Server 2008
    ls (fd0) returns failure reading sector 0x2 - This should be OMV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't understand much else as I don't have much experience with Linux.

That's OK, as you have a monitor attached follow this one first this will allow the system to boot and you will be able to login. Then follow the first link and run update-grub that will update the grub config and it will boot as expected.

BTW have you changed the BIOS settings? HP's by default run hardware raid.

• Thanks Geaves, I looked around in the Bios to change book order.
    The machine has a raid card but I don't think the drives are connected to it.
    I read that is depends on the letter in the model, some can't do raid, can only do RAID, or can do both?

• Go back one step :) to my last post and get the system to boot from the USB.

I think I've seen this thread before and it isn't very helpul as it is written for someone that is already familiar with Linux and grub.
    It skips the steps that I'm asking for help with.

Zitat

During boot at Grub screen, press ESC to stop the countdown and then press e. There you can edit the mount point. In my case it was sda1. Press F10 to boot.

What is a Grub screen? Is that the Grub rescue screen?
    I Googled Grub screen and I don't see anything similar during post.
    How do I edit a mount point?

Is that the ls (fd0) = failure reading sector 0x2?

I only get three screens:

• Offizieller Beitrag

That doesn't show what I would expect and you've run the relevant commands to find/locate where the bootloader is and none of them show that.
    I know you have done this USB to USB, do you have a CD that you could install from? HP's can be a PIA and sometimes you have to make changes in the BIOS. Is there an option to set USB as the boot device + you have to set an option for sata legacy otherwise it attempt to run a hardware raid.
    Found a link here I'll see if I can locate the manual.

• I removed all HDDs during this process so they are not listed.
    I read that this is recommended.

I have confirmed USB as the boot device and set the option for SATA legacy.

Legacy USB is disabled.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you hit f11 to get boot options?

From that second link this is confusing: When Legacy USB Disabled is selected, all USB ports are enabled under a USB-aware OS, but USB is not supported during POST.

To me that implies if that is set as Disabled you can't boot from USB as it's not supported during POST.

• After losing USB support I picked up a PS/2 keyboard before noticing that the ML110 G6 doesn't have a PS/2 port.
    I cleared the CMOS with the System configuration switch on the system board.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!