Raspberry pi 4 announced, better than 3?

• From the specs it seems interesting: A real 1GB LAN interface and USB3 are the two main issues with the Pi3 and below. I will let you know. I ordered my first Raspberry Pi-4-2GB earlier today for use with OMV.

• The RPi 4 is the first RPi iteration that actually might make sense as NAS since not featuring the 'everything behind one USB2 port' limitation any more. Also users buying RPi Trading's USB-C PSU at the same time might save themselves the underpowering hassles the RPi is 'famous' for.

More information:

Since the only piece of software now running on the new RPi is the freshly released Raspbian Buster you'll only get a beta OMV5 experience on the RPi 4 now by following these steps: Building OMV automatically for a bunch of different ARM dev boards

With this new RPi 4 some of the usual OMV tweaks for ARM boards start to make sense and I would expect NAS performance be on par with majority of other Gigabit equipped ARM boards. USB3 situation even looks slightly better than with many other ARM devices due to no internal USB hub here and an USB3 host controller who hopefully doesn't suck that much compared to the Synopsys Designware stuff we have on the other ARM SoCs: https://github.com/ayufan-rock…12#issuecomment-504670051

• Sounds promising! Any thoughts on how much ram is worth it for omv?

I would go for 4 GB since the difference is really small.

Zitat von tkaiser

you'll only get a beta OMV5 experience on the RPi 4 now

Does OMV5 support ext4/ZFS? On github there is a huge discussione about OMV 5 only supporting BTRFS.
    I read that BTRFS doesn't go well with USB, can you confirm? I already have two friends interested in Rp4 and OMV!

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would go for 4 GB since the difference is really small.

Does OMV5 support ext4/ZFS? On github there is a huge discussione about OMV 5 only supporting BTRFS.I read that BTRFS doesn't go well with USB, can you confirm? I already have two friends interested in Rp4 and OMV!

Don't quote me on this, but I believe Volker said in another thread that the default file system for everything, will be BTRFS, however I imagine the webUI will still mount ext4 file systems, it just won't format to them... you would have to do that manually with with fdisk, Gparted, etc.

Not sure how what effect that will have on ZFS.

I saw the specs for the RPI4 early this morning and it certainly looks very interesting.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does OMV5 support ext4/ZFS? On github there is a huge discussione about OMV 5 only supporting BTRFS.

All of that was pushed to OMV 6. OMV 5 will support ext4 and zfs.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• On github there is a huge discussione about OMV 5 only supporting BTRFS

https://github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues/101 was a proposal for OMV5 but as you can see there the label changed to OMV6 in the meantime.

Btrfs and any other modern filesystem doesn't deal well with broken write barrier semantics and the one person there in this Github issue (here since a few months known under the pseudonym 'crashtest' and not 'flmaxey' any more) obsessed by the idea btrfs would always need an UPS obviously suffered from broken write barrier semantics when he played around with a Raspberry Pi 2 together with one external USB enclosure we know nothing about.

Btrfs as any other modern CoW filesystem has been designed to can cope with sudden power losses but as soon as write barrier support is broken it's game over. And this can happen with some combinations of USB host controller and USB hub and USB-to-SATA bridge and drive firmware as it was demonstrated by 'crashtest'/'flmaxey'.

• thanks a lot to both of your for your answers!
    Out of curiosity: OMV5 will be based on Debian 10 right?

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• OMV5 will be based on Debian 10 right?

Yes. That's also why right now you won't be able to run anything else than OMV5 on the RPi 4 since all the RPi Trading folks provide is a Raspbian Buster (Debian 10). There's no real reason for this other than them wanting to force all users on a single install base (in the past they stopped to provide kernel updates for Jessie users for example) and technically it might be rather simple to provide an OMV4 image that runs on the RPi 4 but why spending time on something like this?

Maybe updating the following packages on an OMV4 install might allow this SD card image to work on the RPi 4: raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-kernel libraspberrypi-bin. I'll get my board tomorrow and might report back whether it works or not.

• Offizieller Beitrag

here since a few months known under the pseudonym 'crashtest' and not 'flmaxey' any more

Oh no,,, you "outed" me. :) I feel so exposed. :rolleyes: Really, do you think I care? :) (I find it interesting that you seem to think so.)

Before this becomes yet another obsession ((along with continually reused statements like "write barrier semantics" and "anachronistic methods from the last century")), I'll tell you why I changed my user name. I didn't want former work associates dropping into the forum, by chance, and seeing me engaging with a forum member who has obvious "challenges". While I'm OK with it, it doesn't look good to the wine and cheese crowd, from a "PC" perspective. Along those lines, I guess I would say that the new user name has been, well,, "liberating".

You seem to be crediting Volkers decision to postpone the "BTRFS only" proposal on my one anecdotal (negative) experience. That doesn't take into account that there were numerous comments against. Specifically, the Adobe admin who's using BTRFS extensively in a production environment made a pretty compelling case - stating that if he had a chance to do over again, he wouldn't use BTRFS. ((Along with stating that BTRFS SNAPSHOT's doesn't work well with lots of small nested files, similar to those in client backups, Dockers and VM's.)) Further, from your own performance test links, it's fairly obvious that BTRFS doesn't perform well with USB connected drives. That's problematic for the majority of SBC's.

BTRFS as an option? Fine. As the one and only? Given that it's far from mature, a bit more baking time wouldn't hurt anything. I think the right thing happened.

• You seem to be crediting Volkers decision to postpone the "BTRFS only" proposal on my one anecdotal (negative) experience

You should really learn to read and understand. All I did was explaining to @Blabla that there might be issues with btrfs and USB in some cases (you demonstrated this with all your 'btrfs expertise' being based on playing a bit around with one RPi 2 and a random external USB enclosure with some random disk inside) and that the one person on Github is identical with someone calling himself crashtest here. It's pointless to have any conversation with someone who still doesn't get that I never participated in a discussion whether btrfs should become default/only fs on OMV or not.

Now with this annoying off-topic babbling polluting this thread I won't further comment on RPi 4 here. Interested users might find some information over at CNX for example: https://www.cnx-software.com/2…ni-review/#comment-564077

• Offizieller Beitrag

All I did was explaining to @Blabla that there might be issues with btrfs and USB in some cases (you demonstrated this with all your 'btrfs expertise' being based on playing a bit around with one RPi 2 and a random external USB enclosure with some random disk inside

There's no lack of understanding here. BTRFS doesn't do well with USB - enough said, end of story. And while my use case experience tends to confirm that, it means nothing in itself. In any case talking about BTRFS "write barrier semantics" in a particular use case, solves nothing.
    To get a handle on a "random disk" in a "random enclosure" problem, I suppose a practical solution might be a "list" of hard drives and USB chipsets that BTRFS can use, without issues? Why bother. There's a very simple solution - use another file system.

Now with this annoying off-topic babbling polluting this thread

Yeah, :) ... Off topic babbling might include talking about a username change, twice in the same post, as if that had a bearing on anything. You might think about taking your own advice from time to time.

• Yes. That's also why right now you won't be able to run anything else than OMV5 on the RPi 4 since all the RPi Trading folks provide is a Raspbian Buster (Debian 10). There's no real reason for this other than them wanting to force all users on a single install base (in the past they stopped to provide kernel updates for Jessie users for example) and technically it might be rather simple to provide an OMV4 image that runs on the RPi 4 but why spending time on something like this?
    Maybe updating the following packages on an OMV4 install might allow this SD card image to work on the RPi 4: raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-kernel libraspberrypi-bin. I'll get my board tomorrow and might report back whether it works or not.

Have you tested your possible workaround with RPI 4?
    Mine is going home tomorrow (4gb version), I will love to use "any" version of OMV at all cost. I think is the perfect NAS solution , and will love to run OMV soon on RPI4!!!!

Regards!!!

• I have a Pi3 running OMV which backs up my laptop using SyncTrazor. It also serves flac music files with the MiniDLNA plugin and I have had no issues with speed or reliability

I've just ordered a Pi4 with 4GB RAM but it won't be delivered until the end of July <X .

• Not too bad for something I played with maybe 3 hours so far (OMV5 installation routine the armbian-config way has some bugs that need to be fixed. Other than that OMV is running with the usual tweaks, zram included).

RPi4 is overheating but not that much that throttling happens with my use case (no enclosure, no heatsink, no fan, 27°C ambient temperature, only NAS performance tests).

For storage performance only please see here: https://www.cnx-software.com/2…ni-review/#comment-564077

Please remember that both Debian 10 and OMV5 are still beta and that the RPi 'firmware' on the new RPi 4 will also see some improvements. Debug log: http://ix.io/1MNk

Sorry, I won't read/answer any posts here since one participant's behavior annoys me way too much...

• Thanks a lot, you are my hero!!!!

Could you guide us on how to install It in rpi4? Im newbie
    God bless you

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!