docker base path

• Another newbie mistake. I didn’t notice that the default base path for docker is /var/lib/docker until I filled my boot SD Card moving folders from my Synology NAS to my omv test system running on an Odroid HC2 with a Resilio Sync docker. The folders themselves are located correctly on the data drive and look correct. I see how to create a new location for the data path on my data drive; is there a way to move the data in /var/lib/docker or do I need to just start over?

Thanks,

/bob

• IIRC, when you specify a new location for the base path in the docker plugin GUI, the data will be copied from the old location to the new location. But it will not be deleted from the old location, you have to do that yourself after verifying that all your containers are working properly.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Interesting. You're correct; the files were moved. I hate to be dense about this but how do I get the new location recognized in the GUI? I don't see the resilio container. Do I need to pull and reinstall? It's not that big a deal. This is still a test system but I'd like to understand the process.

Thanks,

/bob

• I would try restarting the docker service or just reboot the machine and see if that fixes it.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Nope, a reboot didn't fix it. Just for fun, I changed the location back to the default and noticed resilio did show up in the GUI and was running. So I changed /var/lib/docker to /var/lib/docker.old, fixed the path and rebooted. Still didn't work. Like I said, it's still a test system so I'll mess with it a while and just rebuild if I can't get it to work.

Thanks,

/bob

• You don't say how many containers you are running. If it's more than one, do the others work?

Also, the drive you moved the base path to must be mounted exec capable in fstab. This is not the default setting in OMV.

Post you fstab and identify the drive you moved the base path to.

--

• Sorry for the delay in responding. I created a bit of a crisis while troubleshooting. (NOTE TO SELF: when testing Resilio Sync make sure to use unimportant data and mark the peer being tested as RO! Thankfully, the sync archive saved me from having to restore from backup). Anyway, it's working. To answer your question: 1 16GB SD card for boot and 1 3TB HDD for data drive in an hc2 enclosure. I pulled several docker images for testing but was only running resilio when the boot drive filled. The key in getting it to work was the noexec option in fstab. Thanks for pointing that out. Changed to exec and things seem to work now.

I plan to do a clean install after testing. Now, let me see if I can break something else :)

Thanks,

/bob

• Offizieller Beitrag

The key in getting it to work was the noexec option in fstab.

If you edited fstab, this change will be reverted when you mount another drive from the GUI of OMV.

To make the change persistent you need to edit the entry in config.xml

I think it is explained how to do it in this video. Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

• Sorry for bringing this topic back again, but I have some issues as well.

On a fresh OMV5 install on a HC2 I changed the base path of docker to an encrypted HDD instead of /var/lib/docker. Now Portainer just stopped working and OMV says it is not installed. I had five containers running so it is no big big issue but I'd like to have a reliable server.

Is there anything I overlooked? Is it better practice to leave docker and portainer in it's old path on the SD card? Or is there a simple way to get the containers running with copy or symlink?

• Docker and Portainer may start before your device is decrypted. So probably start by checking if docker runs, or not.

Greetings

David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Maybe this gets you on the right track:

https://www.reddit.com/r/docke…n_startup_in_ubuntu_1510/

Despite beeing about Ubuntu, it should point you to the right direction.

Greetings

David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!