Docker won't load after changing docker base path

• I changed my 'Docker Base Path' to a shared folder on a UnionFS mount. As soon as I hit save I got an error message and the docker service failed. After a restart the docker service is still down.

Here's the error:

Any ideas how to fix this?

On a side note, is anyone else having a lot of stability/reliability issues with OMV? This is my 4th install of it in as many weeks trying to get it to work without error, and I still have a lingering quota service failure, and unfortunately now Docker is broken.

• I suggest not using a UnionFS mount for the docker base path. Also, are your data drives mounted exec capable?

I don't use quotas so the service throws an error at each boot, which I just continue to ignore.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks for the reply @gderf.
    Ahh ok interesting. I saw you ask a similar question in the other thread about docker base path. I'm not sure what it means. How do I check?
    Ideally the base path would be on my array where I have the most free space.

I wonder, do you also have unionFS installed? I think the error with 'quataon' started after I installed that plugin.

• On OMV you have one system drive for the OS and you have one or more data drives.

The system drive is mounted exec capable because there are executable programs on it that have to have that mounting or they will not run.

By default, OMV mounts data drives noexec which means you can not run executable programs on them. The problem with this is that if you move the docker base path from the default location (which is on the OS drive mounted exec) to a data drive which is mounted noexec, your dockers will not run anymore until you change the mount from noexec to exec. You can see how the base path is set by looking in the docker plugin's settings tab. To move this from the default you have to first create a shared folder for it. Changing the mount from noexec to exec can be done by editing /etc/fstab but these changes will be lost the next time you add a disk or unmount/mount a drive. You'll have to find the Guide on this site that tells you how to do this properly. I think it's one of TechnoDadLife's.

You can look at the drives mount options by examining your /etc/fstab file.

I use mergerfs which is what current OMV uses with the UnionFS plugin, but I do not use that plugin. I configure it by hand in fstab.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!