haugene/transmission-openvpn port forwarding problem

• OMV 4.x
    • Maybe I'm being silly here and missing the obvious, but how do you check your OMV install to see if the VPN is working?? I thought about installing a browser in docker, but thought that was a bad idea. I use NordVPN in a docker by the way. I did risk it and download a torrent without any bad email entering my account so something is probably going right.
    • How I always find if it's working

Get your Public IP from a machine not behind the VPN (whatismyip,com, or command line if you're running a Linux machine)

SSH your server and bash into the transmission container as root:
      docker exec -it container_name bash

curl ifconfig.co

This will return the public IP of the container. If the VPN is working... it should be different than the IP of the local machine.

Example: Black terminal window is my laptop. White one is my NAS. Even with the IP partially blurred, they are clearly different. I can't remember if curl is installed inside that container by default, or if I installed it. However the container is ubuntu based so if you get command not found, just apt-get install curl and after it installs, run the command again
      Images
      • ip.png

45.7 kB, 1,101×357, viewed 29 times
      Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• MightyMo wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I'll give it a shot, although at this point, having not received any negative notices I'm pretty sure everything is working as it should.
      If by "not received any negative notices" you mean not receiving complaints about copyright infringement via torrenting, then equating the lack of any such notices with proper operation of the VPN or proxy is a mistake. Just because no one is complaining doesn't mean that they don't know your IP address.

You need to explicitly test for proper VPN / proxy operation and you need to do this continuously.

A better approach to this is to spend a bit of money on a seedbox. It will save you a lot of bandwidth and in most cases it is a lot faster too.
      --
      Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV 4.x - ASRock Rack C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380