odroid HC2 btrfs 32bit 8TiB limitation

• How do you handle drives larger than 8TiB with btrfs?
    Quoting from Btrfs Gotchas "Various Btrfs tools, among them btrfs check and btrfs receive don't support however Btrfs volumes larger than 8TiB on 32-bit systems."

Is it ok to break the disk up by using subvolumes, or is there a better option?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't tested. But as I understand it the btrfs filesystem on 32 bit is fine with >8TB volume. "Only" some tools will stop working.

Why not simply test it and see if subvolumes fix it? If not, you can always partition old-school. Or use EXT4.

Please report back if it works or not.

• "Only" some tools will stop working.

The file system may work, but without some of these tools it is not much use to me. I need "btrfs receive" for backups.
    I don't want to find out that I have used the wrong file system for the task when the drive is 80% full (10TB drive).
    If I can get around the issue by using subvolumes, then do I just need to make sure that no subvolume grows above 8TiB?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why not simply test it yourself? Before using it in "production"! What stops you from testing it? If subvolumes won't do, then normal partitions will. So if a 8TB volume is big enough, then everything should be fine! Or just use a 8TB drive.

I very much doubt that subvolumes on a volume bigger than 8 TB will work on 32 bit as you want it to work. But without a test, who knows?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have to agree with @Adoby in this. You'll probably have to test this yourself. 32 bit hardware and a drive larger than 8TB is a somewhat rare combination. There won't be many users with both.

If you do test it, please post the result.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Actually 8TB is close to the sweetspot for TB/cost. It might even be on the lower end if you factor in the costs of all the hardware needed to get the storage available on a network.

If you also factor in stuff like work, power, space, cooling and reliability then 8 TB definitely is on the lower end.

I prefer 12TB drives at the moment.

This 8-12 TB sweetspot is there both for 32 and 64 BIT, I suspect. ARM or x86.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Actually 8TB is close to the sweetspot for TB/cost.

Hum.. I haven't looked lately. It used to be that 4TB was the best for cost per TB, where anything larger came at a premium. But you're certainly right when it comes to additional hardware costs. Using larger drives is easier and more ecomonical, when compared to expansion costs.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!