How would you do it? (Disk Layout)

• So i've decided after a hiatus to come back to the world of OMV for my home NAS/Server appliance. I used OMV back in the 1.x and 2.x days but moved to something else for a while. But now I've decided to rebuild and come back to the light.

What i can't decide on however is exactly what set of solutions to use for my storage.

Hardware:
    Core i5 8500
    32GB RAM
    LSI MegaRAID 9272-8i 512M cache 6Gbps SATA/SAS Raid *

Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 500GB
    Intel 128GB SSD (unknown model)
    4x Seagate 4TB HDD

*Not installed yet, bought on ebay for $50.

The case is now full, i'm out of ports. My storage requirements are:

Static Media - 6TB
    DVR - up to 2TB
    3-4 VM's around 90GB each. They don't do much, 1 is a DVR, one is a VDI desktop, the rest just lab play machines.

Due to the amount of storage I required, the only way to achieve enough is to use "RAID 5" unless i throw out the 4x HDD and start again.

I was originally considering using ZFS with RaidZ1, which seems to perform pretty damn well. However I was concerned about the random IO performance for the VM's.
    Would I be best using the 500GB SSD as a separate disk just for VM's, or should I use it as a cache for the raidz volume?

Then I have the RAID card.. which would make things simpler but I'm still worried about IO performance with the VM's and I really don't want the drives spun up 24x7.

I think i've talked myself into raidz with the SSD as a cache, but what would you do?

P.S the performance of that EVO SSD compared to the intel SSD is like comparing an SSD to a HDD. It's crazy quick.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!