clean, degraded missing disk that shows up under disks

• Raid says drive disconnected but it still shows up under disks so I'm confused. Not really sure when this happend it was storming last night but the server is on battery backup and that never faltered. I have 7 4tb WD Red drives.

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10]
    md127 : active raid5 sdb[6] sde[7] sdc[8] sdg[3] sda[4] sdf[1]
          23441323008 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [7/6] [UU_UUUU]

unused devices: <none>

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# mdadm --detail --scan --verbose
    ARRAY /dev/md127 level=raid5 num-devices=7 metadata=1.2 name=openmediavault:Media UUID=7a39528f:fab66321:dc1ed267:566f9251
       devices=/dev/sda,/dev/sdb,/dev/sdc,/dev/sde,/dev/sdf,/dev/sdg
    root@openmediavault:~#
    • Offizieller Beitrag

According the image raid info /dev/sdd has been removed from the array you should therefore be able to recover this from the GUI using raid management.

Select the raid array in Raid Management, select remove from the menu does /dev/sdd show in the list? if not go to Storage -> Disks and wipe /dev/sdd (you may have to format the drive as well) back to Raid Management select Recover from the menu /dev/sdd should be there select it hit Ok and you should see the raid recovering.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any idea why it would randomly be removed?

No not really unless there was a problem if the raid was being accessed, if it recovers fine, but if you get any errors then it could be anything hardware related, but that is somewhat of a risk to run a Raid5 with 7 drives. If 2 drives had done that the Raid would be dead :( with no way of recovery unless you have a backup.

• No not really unless there was a problem if the raid was being accessed, if it recovers fine, but if you get any errors then it could be anything hardware related, but that is somewhat of a risk to run a Raid5 with 7 drives. If 2 drives had done that the Raid would be dead :( with no way of recovery unless you have a backup.

I do have another drive laying around. I can't go from 5 to 6 though without blowing it all away and restoring from a backup though right?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't go from 5 to 6 though without blowing it all away and restoring from a backup though right?

You can but I wouldn't recommend it, if it goes wrong you lose everything, use the existing drive /dev/sdd to get the raid back to a clean state.

If you have an additional spare drive (but that would give you 8 in the array) then you can grow it by adding the drive as the additional drive would appear as a spare. But whilst this should work from the GUI I'm sure I read on forum someone having a problem growing their raid, but that could be overcome by using the cli.

Personally if this was me I would look at reconfiguring from scratch and restoring from backup, a PIA yes, but at least you could go down the raid 6 route.

• So I keep getting this email from my server

and this one.

yet my RAID info shows this.
    whats going on???

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can drives be hot swapped?

No, not with mdadm, there are a few threads on the forum where users have 'tested' a failure by simply pulling a drive, on reboot the raid comes back as inactive and has to be reassembled, then it will appear as clean degraded, they have to go through the process that you have just done.

Sorry yes the info looks OK the raid is back to normal.

• No, not with mdadm, there are a few threads on the forum where users have 'tested' a failure by simply pulling a drive, on reboot the raid comes back as inactive and has to be reassembled, then it will appear as clean degraded, they have to go through the process that you have just done.
    Sorry yes the info looks OK the raid is back to normal.

So I shut down. removed the bad drive, put a good drive in powered it on and it shows all my disks but I have nothing under RAID. It doesn't show any arrays Ideas?

• Here's all this info for you. should I make a new thread? I feel like I'm a simple command away from it working. lol

• Offizieller Beitrag

So I shut down. removed the bad drive, put a good drive in powered it on and it shows all my disks but I have nothing under RAID

:?: why, I said in post 11 that you cannot hot swap the drives!!

got it up and going with this
    forum.openmediavault.org/index…er-upgrade-to-OMV-4-1-22/

When you say you've got it going can you you explain? That thread is different to what you have done.

• :?: why, I said in post 11 that you cannot hot swap the drives!!

When you say you've got it going can you you explain? That thread is different to what you have done.

I think we were using the term hotswap. I was probably using it wrong. I was using the term as in can I pull the drive out and insert a new one without shutting OMV off. so it didn't even occur to me until it was too late that I might need to remove the disk from the raid before I shut down and pull the disk.

mdadm --assemble --verbose --force /dev/md127 /dev/sd[abcdef] is what got the array to show for me. i then wiped the new drive and rebuilt the array.

• Offizieller Beitrag

mdadm --assemble --verbose --force /dev/md127 /dev/sd[abcdef] is what got the array to show for me. i then wiped the new drive and rebuilt the array.

Ok, so is the raid now showing clean with all 7 drives?

I think we were using the term hotswap. I was probably using it wrong.

:):thumbup: You can use the GUI to remove a drive from an array, then add a new drive and rebuild it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!