OMV and Docker and users. (new guy)

• New to linux and OMV but love the potential I see, especially with docker containers. I understand docker containers are not like a VM and get the basic concept that they tie into the OS more and don't need an entire machine but only bits and pieces. I try to be security conscious and noticed in some of the docker setup videos they use the same UID and GID as the OMV user account. It seems this gives each container root? If I understand correctly OMV users are just the underlying debian users. You can go into the shell and all your users are listed right there. So even if I set up a new user in OMV with lots of permissions it will have access to everything down to debian. So what do I do when setting up a container for the first time? I saw a few videos on Emby and it seems they just pick an unused UID but that doesn't seem right to me. Please understand I'm just jumping in to this stuff. I'm not a dummy and used to code micro-controllers in assembly long ago so I get stuff. I'm jut not getting the basics of this. Can I get pointed to a good explanation of best practices for someone who doesn't just want everything installed to have root?

• Digging into this more I have to figure the guide I saw about Emby was wrong or I missed something related to PUID and PGID. Those values have to match up to an existing user. It appears docker is adding a --user flag to make it easier to point to but that's not to be used yet.

https://docs.linuxserver.io/ge…derstanding-puid-and-pgid

So now I ask - I see the default admin account in OMV is UID 998 and GID 100. If I create my own user account the UID will be set automatically but what groups do I add in the OMV dialog? I want to be able to maintain the system with my user but not give too much access to containers.

Am I overthinking this? If a container is sandboxed but I give it too many permissions I don't want it to be able to escape.

• On my OMV, just like any of my other Linux machines, I have created one new user named fred and assigned that user into the users group. This is the user and group I run all my dockers as via PUID and PGID (or the equivalent environment variables.)

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Thanks for the reply. I've done that and get a user in the user group but when I log into that account I can't administer anything from the OMV GUI. Almost every option is disabled and hidden from view. So I'm gathering I need to create the user but then really never log into it.

• The only valid user able to make use of the OMV GUI is the admin user. Creating new users does not change this.

A regular user, created as I suggested can use the shell for various purposes. This is a standard Linux thing. That user can also be used to run dockers as that user.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks again for the help. I did get a UniFi container working today. I put a noshell for the user I created and everything works fine. It's still somewhat confusing to me and I suspect I'll have other issues with other images. I read about users and who owns volumes causing issues but I'll worry about that when I get to it.

• i am also confused by this docker user thing. the docker how-tos in the guide section (mostly written by macom ) mention that a separate docker user should be created and all containers should be mapped to this user via puid and pgid. in reality this causes a lot of issues, because the files and folders created by the docker user are not accessible for my general user i am using to access the files via samba.

furthermore, when setting up docker containers i am using root for ssh login, so i need to chown every created directory to the docker user so the containers can actually use them.

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID

Powered by Proxmox VE

• Offizieller Beitrag

Never had an issue.

I created the docker1 user in the GUI of OMV. By this he is member of the group "users".

If course you can use any other user that is created in the GUI.

I created to folders in the GUI of OMV. By this the group "users" has r/w access to these folders.

Things get complicated if you create folders from CLI.

• I have only two additional users (fred,sftp) on my system beyond those created by the system itself. The sftp user is only used to access the chrooted sftp server and has no other role so I won't mention it again.

The user fred is a member of the users and sudo groups and has a home directory /home/fred.

All of my activity in the shell starts when I am logged in as user fred.

If I need elevated privileges I use sudo.

Becoming the root user is very rarely done.

All my media files and directories (movies, music, tv) are owned by fred:users. The directories have 2755 permissions and the files within them have 0644 permissions.

All my dockers run with the PUID of fred and the PGID of users (1001:100).

When I run any docker commands in the shell I am logged in as user fred.

I never have permissions and ownerships problems with files and directories that I (user fred) or my dockers need to interact with.

Are you seeing a pattern here yet?

TLDR;

Who said this recommended separate docker user can't be the primary user on the system?

--

• All my media files and directories (movies, music, tv) are owned by fred:users. The directories have 2755 permissions and the files within them have 0644 permissions.

how are you preventing other members of the users group, like your wife, kids, brother, etc. from accessing your files?

Who said this recommended separate docker user can't be the primary user on the system?

because that would not make any sense. first you set up OMV with a primary user, copy in your several terabytes of data, then set up docker with a separate user and move the ownership of the several terabytes of data to this user?

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID