(How to) install OMV to internal/external USB-HDD?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've helped several friends set up OMV boxes.. only one used a flash drive. Honestly, I didn't notice any particular difference between his USB and my SSD. The specs of his flash drive and my SSD says his flash drive was slightly slower than my SSD, but it wasn't enough that I was able to notice without them being side by side. Obviously I would use a quality flash drive rather than something you bought at a dollar store for $5 (I've always had good luck with Kingston and PNY, but YMMV)

His reasoning was much the same as yours, he needed all his sata ports for his data drives. He ran his off an internal USB 3.0 header with an adapter cable, rather than leaving the flash drive sticking out externally... but as @macom stated, as long as you can boot the drive, there should be no issue. Of course the second concern, is making sure after you get installed/updated, the first thing I would do is install omv-extras and set up the flash memory plugin. OMV does a lot of disk writing and back in the day before this plugin, folks would nuke flash drives in a week.

Seems the most difficult part (on some boards, he didn't have an issue) is getting grub installed. There's been threads here reporting that the "install" flash drive gets detected as sda, and grub fails to install on to the "OS" flash drive. Some say moving the flash drives around to different ports may help, or you can boot a live OS in rescue mode and install grub afterwards. Others have just put a Debian netinst ISO on their install flash drive, and installed Debian w/o any GUI, etc, then just install OMV on top of the Debian install (there's a thread on this procedure in the guides forum). The Debian installer lets you manually install grub to the location of choice, and resolves the problem. There's been threads on these situations here on the forum, but it seems to be an outlier, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about it and would just deal with it if it came up, there's plenty of threads with solutions to this issue.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks a lot to both of you.

At the moment I'm struggeling with my ASUS Board which only runs with an INTEL i7 but refuses to boot up with a Celeron CPU because INTEL ME drivers are missing.
    After having fixed this issue hopefully with the help of the german ASUS support I'll have a try installing IMV on a USB SSD.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!