Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 issue (found a new solution, kind of sorted)

• Runnin OMV 4.1.23-1 with 4.19 kernal on a laptop that has Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411.

Everything is working fine until I transfer big files from OMV SAMBA folder to win 10 PC, speed can reach 90MB/sec at first but then it randomly slows down to 0K and even freeze when under heavy loads, seems that quite a few people on the internet asked about this particular issue....
    I have tried adding extra options but the issue still persists.

Just cancelled a 7 GB transfer and rx_missed is 11...

Some people said it's driver problem, I would be grateful if anyone can tell me how to resolve this issue, thank you in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately you're on a laptop, so I'll just say good luck. I had nothing but problem with Realtek and won't use or recommend them anymore for Linux boxes (although some report with more recent kernels they work fine).

I purchased an Intel card which works great.

• Hi, i followed the steps in. https://unixblogger.com/how-to…68-working-updated-guide/

when I ran "sudo ./autorun.sh" using OMV as root,

it says "sudo: unable to execute ./autorun.sh: Permission denied"

please help, thank you.

---------------------------

ps, managed to execute it using.... bash -x ./filename.filetype command

$ dmesg | grep -i ethernet output is r8168 driver loaded...

will test it and see if things are working properly this time, thanks!!!!

----------------

just did a 12GB transfer test. The speed still went up and down like a rollacoaster but it managed to get the job done at the end... which is a big improvement already.
    wondering if adding extra options can make things better...

• Hello Everyone,

Interesting feed, quite "frightening" regarding the 8111...
    I'm actually trying to create my own build and every m-atx MB I see are all set with a Realtek 8111 (AMD based m-atx).
    I guess one option would be installing a PCIE Ethernet ? Would that be a solution?

Cheers,
    J

---

Geeky photographer, brand new to the Open Source & NAS world, much to learn, few to share but happy to !

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess one option would be installing a PCIE Ethernet ? Would that be a solution?

It would certainly save you the hassle of installing the r8168 driver, and as @KM0201 suggested an Intel based card is a good option, the problem here is that Debian installs and enables the r8169 driver as default for Realtek.

• It would certainly save you the hassle of installing the r8168 driver, and as @KM0201 suggested an Intel based card is a good option, the problem here is that Debian installs and enables the r8169 driver as default for Realtek.

Good to know!
    Then maybe I'll go through the Intel based PCIE solution, I could say 40€ is worth a dozen of lost hours setting up a driver downgrade
    Thanks!

---

Geeky photographer, brand new to the Open Source & NAS world, much to learn, few to share but happy to !

• Well if that happened then I would look toward other networking issues before adding extras options.

I have no idea what else I can do now... I added extra options and transfer speed still not stable.
    Anyway, it doesn't FREEZE during file transfer and I am fine with it for now.

thanks a lot for your advise!

• although some report with more recent kernels they work fine

What I did in the past was mentioning that recent silicon works just fine. There were numerous occasions of Realtek bashing where I stepped in asking from which decade the concerns were and that there are no reports of recent RTL8111G or RTL8111H showing the same hassles as older and totally different Realtek NICs also with an RTL8111 or RTL8168 in their name.

IMO the appropriate approach to deal with 'Realtek' is to ask people which hardware they have instead of telling them horror stories based on old Realtek NICs. One way to obtain the exact hardware revision is using ethtool: https://github.com/ThomasKaise…f_ODROID-H2.md#networking

• ethtool -i enp8s0
    driver: r8168
    version: 8.046.00-NAPI
    firmware-version:
    expansion-rom-version:
    bus-info: 0000:08:00.0
    supports-statistics: yes
    supports-test: no
    supports-eeprom-access: no
    supports-register-dump: yes
    supports-priv-flags: no

I installed 8168 driver but the same old problem still persist now.... hopeless....

• Have a read through this it seems that the driver being loaded/used is r8169 but following the first post from the link will give you the relevant information.

Well if that happened then I would look toward other networking issues before adding extras options.

I accidentally discovered a new solution....

Since speed was unstable in Win and it is worst in MX linux... it stops transferring every single time....

I opened NetworkManager Applet in MX linux and edited my connection configuration, changed link negotiation to manual, then speed from 1000 Mb/s to 100Mb/s. I was expecting around 9.XX MB/sec MAX actual trasnfer speed, but strangely it turned out transfer speed was around 5X MB/sec, more surprisingly the overall process was very steady and stable, so far I have done five 2GB-4GB file transfers for testing and none of them had any issue...

i am very happy about it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

i am very happy about it.

:thumbup: well at least you've found a solution, the last time I experienced something similar was to change the duplex setting from full to half and that would stabilise connection issues, if not you change 1000Mbs Full Duplex to 1000Mbs Half Duplex. But it's been a long time since I had to do that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Of course, waiting for many years is the better solution :)))
    Problem with unstable r8169 not solved in Debian Buster (and OMV 5)

I didn't say there were easy solutions, but your "ultimate solution" is anything but, in fact it could put some systems at a security risk.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!