Site Hosting Best Practices

• Hi all, I am wondering if there are any pages specifically on the subject of site hosting with openmediavault, as I am working on relaunching some applications I had in use previously and would like to avoid certain pitfalls I found with my last install. I mainly need to run a few WordPress sites and a NextCloud install. In my last install I achieved this pretty easily by giving each subdomain a folder within www and managing them through Nginx, however keeping Nextcloud on the most recent update started causing problems mainly due to the difference in PHP version. I am not sure about what PHP version OMV currently uses but I think staying on 7.0 was starting to create some issues.

What would most people say is the best way to host a site on OMV? I think one option would simply be to rely on the Nginx plugin and not worry about keeping on bleeding edge releases, however I think this might mean using older versions of things like Nextcloud. Would one solution be to run Nginx through docker with its own PHP version and forward the port through the OMV Nginx plugin? In this case, would it matter whether the database was handled through the MariaDB plugin or should that also be done through docker? I understand the best solution might be just to host the sites on their own separate machine, though I did really enjoy being able to manage the sites through the OMV gui. Very curious as to how people usually handle this.

• Thank you so much for your suggestion, that was definitely the direction I was leaning towards. What is involved with making the docker instances public in terms of port forwarding? Is the OMV Nginx plugin used to reverse proxy to the docker instance?

• For instance, I have all my apps (sonarr, plex, radarr, etc) running on dockers, then an instance of linuxserver/letsencrypt on port 443 from outside serving as reverse proxy for all the apps and even the OMV web GUI.

You can have an unlimited amount of nginx containers running, each giving access to a single website and reverse all of them from the single linuxserver/letsencrypt container.

NOW:
    Mac mini Late 2012 / macOS Catalina / Docker Desktop for Mac
    Intel Core i7-3615QM CPU @ 2.30GHz - 16GB RAM - 4 external disks via USB3.0 - Gigabit Ethernet - 20 docker containers via docker-compose ;)
    PREVIOUS:
    omv 5.2.1-1 (Usul) - Bevy NUC thanks to TechnoDadLife (NUC5CPYB)
    Celeron N3050 @ 1.60GHz - 8GB RAM - 2 external disks via USB3.0 - Gigabit Ethernet - 21 docker containers via docker-compose :)

• Hi, erreib.
    In fact, a lot of hosting companies offer their services. The choice of hosting is very important for the further development of your site. First of all, you need to look at what they offer. DDoS attacks are currently a very common reason for closing sites, you need to find a hosting service with good DDoS protection. Assistance from the managers of the hosting is also very important. Many hosting companies help you move the entire site, fix problems, and install the necessary plugins on the site. I own two sites and have found the perfect hosting service-Mangomatter Media. They really helped me with everything for 4 years my sites haven't run into problems. Treat the site as a living entity and you can earn a lot of money on it, as I do. If you have any questions write to me and I will help.

Why did you kick this one after nearly a year of quietude?

• This is an interesting discussion, I've never tried this scheme to load your site. My friend two years ago created a site with openmediavault and it seems that everything worked out. I still prefer not to mess with it all and the simpler way to load my site via CPanel. I had more problems finding a good hosting service for my site. I created my site six months ago and I needed really high-quality hosting for it. My friend suggested me one hosting service, but it turned out to be bad, my site crashed too often. After spending a lot of my time, I found stablepoint promos with discounts on some of the best hosting services. Now I use one of these hosting services and pay very little for it

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!