HDD Active for 5 seconds , then STANDBY ..... always spinning down 5 seconds later after last use

• Im fighting with my 1tb Hitachi USB 3.0 connected Harddrive to OMV4.0. Im doing a lot of spin up and spin down everytime I access the unit.

My Setup:
    - RPI 3b+
    - USB3 to Sata
    - Hitachi 1tb Harddrive
    - Latest OMV 4 Stable Version.
    - All updates and upgrades installed.

I tryed: (I reboot after every change)

• APM : 1 | AAM: Disabled | Spindown = 5 minutes
      Result: Drive active while using it, then STANDBY 5 seconds later after last use.
    • APM : 64 | AAM: Disabled | Spindown = 5 minutes
      Result: Drive active while using it, then STANDBY 5 seconds later after last use.
    • APM : 127 | AAM: Disabled | Spindown = 5 minutes

LOG:

While using disk:
    root@NasPI:~# hdparm -C /dev/sda
    /dev/sda:
    drive state is: active/idle

After 5 seconds:
    root@NasPI:~# hdparm -C /dev/sda
    /dev/sda:
    drive state is: active/idle

Far away from 127 , I have not tested. 128 or more = No spindown at all

What should I do? Im destroying the disk with infinite spin-up / down cycles........

I only find the opposite version into the forum (people with harddrive not spinning down)....

Thanks all!!!

• SOLVED!!!!

It´s the APM state!!!

APM = DISABLED | AAM: DISABLED | Spindown = 5 minutes
    WORKS (active 5minutes and then, spins down)

APM STATES (1 to 127) spin down all my harddrives after 5 seconds (WdBlue 500gb and Hitachi 1TB)
    APM STATES (128 to XXX) not support Spindown at all.

Hope this could help someone!

• Offizieller Beitrag

As you're finding, on this topic, there are opinions on both sides of the fence. Here are a few things to consider.

When a drive spins up, that's when current inrush is highest and the stresses on it (wear and tear) are the greatest. This applies to any electric motor, of any size. Depending on the number of daily accesses, spinning your drives down on such a short interval (5 minutes) may actually result in greater power consumption than just letting it spin. If you're spinning the drive down to save power, note that your platform is already doing a pretty good job.

Given my usage, with automated functions running after-hours and client backups, 128 makes the most sense to me.

• I will rise Spindown time to 1-2 hours. My Nas is only used once or twice a day.

My problem was with APM. It was spinning down at 5 seconds no matter the spindown time I have set......

Regards!!

• It seems like if APM is getting down USB about 5 seconds later when is active.

I checked this problem with different USB to SATA adapters and Harddrives (At least in RPI3b+).

I forgot to include this in my previous solution......

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!