USB drives I/O error during writes

• I have two NAS based on OMV, one is an Atom SBC the other is a RPi3.
    Both have a USB external hard-disk, with dedicated power supply.

Whenever I try to write a "large" file (say > 1 GB) I got a lot of I/O errors and the disks disconnect. Example on RPi3:

On RPi3 the disk is remounted but on the other machine I have to cycle power the hard-disk and reconfigure the "Disk" section of OMV.
    Because they are different platform, with different hard-disk and different USB controllers the only common thing is OMV.

It's not reliable with these problems. I must be able to write such a "large" files.
    Please, would you help me to understand how to fix the problem?

Of course feel free to ask me any detail that might be useful.

• Offizieller Beitrag

On RPi3 the disk is remounted but on the other machine I have to cycle power the hard-disk and reconfigure the "Disk" section of OMV.
    Because they are different platform, with different hard-disk and different USB controllers the only common thing is OMV.

There are two things in common, in this case. "Debian" and "USB connected" hard drives. OMV (an application) doesn't have anything to do with physically interfacing hardware.

Regarding the drive connected to the R-PI; have you looked at SMART data for /dev/sda1 ?

In this case, with EXT4-FS warnings, using fsck to scan the drive might be a good idea. fsck /dev/sda1 Unmount the drive before the scan. There's a list of exit codes here.

It's not reliable with these problems.

I noted you posted, last year, regarding an issue with a USB connected drive. If you're looking for reliability, you might consider using an adapter/enclosure with a good USB-to-SATA chip set. Better yet, platforms with native SATA ports eliminate USB-to-SATA issues.

• Yep, in fact the problem is not solved since last year.
    Because OMV is strictly tied to Debian are the same thing: I mean, I understand OMV is only the software layer, but because they choose Debian as o.s. I assume it should work for all OMV features. And USB/SATA adapters are not discouraged (at least, I didn't find any note about them).

The same hard-disks with the same USB/SATA adapter connected to a common Windows machine work fine also with very big files. So I don't think both have faulty SATA chipset.
    Anyway, I will try to look at SMART data.

• Offizieller Beitrag

USB/SATA adapters are not discouraged (at least, I didn't find any note about them).

There are differences between USB chip sets. Some are better than others, JMS578 and RTL8153 are a couple examples of good chip sets.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!