rsync push from OMV to remote Synology NAS - permission denied

• Hi folks,

I'm working on this since quite some time, reading tons of blog posts and forums and still can't get this work, so you are my last hope.

I'm trying to rsync a folder from OMV to a remote Synology DiskStation.

- OMV and DiskStation both have ssh enabled and rsync enabled
    - I can ssh from OMV to DiskStation with user "rsync" using public key
    - OMV can rsync from local drive to another local drive
    - Diskstation is accessible via DDNS service from remote

Still, whenever I try to set up the rsync job from OMV to the remote DiskStation I get a "permission denied". I'm not sure if I got the right syntax in OMV rsync GUI to specify the remote Diskstation as a target server. Let's assume I try to push some files from OMV into the folder /PhotoBackup on the remote DiskStation

- Is it correct to do it like this: rsync@myname.myddns.com:/volume1/PhotoBackup?
    - Which permissions does the /PhotoBackup folder on the Diskstation need? I assigned write/read via DSM for the user rsync, the user rsync is in groups users and administrators
    - Any other hints on how to debug this or I can find out if it is a problem with ssh, the omv user, the DiskStation user, the public keys, the folder permissions or rsync syntax? :?:

• remote mount seems to be the more convenient solution if I want to keep my folder structure and not use the NetBackup folder, trying to figure out how to get this to work, this is what I did so far:

1) Install remote mount plugin on local OMV
    2) enable NFS on remote Diskstation, create shared folder on remote DiskStation, enable NFS rights for * for shared folder on remote Diskstation
    3) enter server DDNS and folder path into remote share plugin on local OMV

This is what I get:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; mount '/srv/9808b50a-2d09-4b1f-a137-4fd88c2bda48' 2>&1' with exit code '32': mount.nfs: Connection timed out

Doesn't really tell me anything more than it seems to not reach the remote DiskStation? any way way to properly debug this (logs etc.?)?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have seven NAS. (Most small Odroid HC2.) And I gave up on Remote Mount early.

Instead I use autofs and NFS. NFS is configured in OMV as usual. But autofs outside in Armbian.

All my NAS are connected to each other with the autofs mount points at /srv/nfs

And I use the exact same config files on all of them. I just copy and paste.

My procedure to configure autofs for a OMV NAS:
    Activate a NFS share in OMV.
    Install autofs.
    Create /srv/nfs
    Copy config files for autofs to /etc, overwriting existing.
    Reboot

After that I have dynamic self healing NFS connections between all my NAS. If I reboot one it is automatically reconnected on demand when it is up again. I use this for automated daily backups between servers. Or simply for transferring files between servers.

I include the config files I use, they must be modified as needed, of course. IPs, servers, exports, mount points and so on. But that should be pretty obvious.

Mount point is specified in auto.master. All the servers in auto.nfs.

My servers appear as /srv/nfs/nas0, /srv/nfs/nas1 and so on. (The server nas is a Synology 411j that usually is turned off.) The folders looks empty but if you enter/use them the remote server is mounted there at once, if available.

It is possible to use autofs with smb/cifs, but I don't use that.

WARNING: There are some safety problems with NFS and it most likely should be used a little more selectively than what I do. Don't do this if you may have unfriendlies in the network.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!