VFS Objects

• OMV 4.x
    • Hi,

I just installed OMV (using latest version). I need to use vfs objects in my SMB share for FCPX project sharing. Can someone please advise where I'm supposed to put this and how?

do I go into the smb.conf?

do I add it in the Advanced Settings?

I need the following line added:
      vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr

Do I use commas?

otherwise, how do I force the SMB to connect using SMB 4?

Hope someone can answer this.

The post was edited 1 time, last by clueluzz ().

• Personally I made some changes of the SAMBA configuration in the past, also using VFS OBJECTS. But I did it on OMV 3. Maybe my advice also works for OMV 4.

First you should not edit smb.conf manually. Your changes would be overwritten if you change the SMB configuration later by the WebUI.

For my opinion you have several possibilities:

First approach:
      Goto "Services -> SMB/CIFS -> Settings -> Advanced settings -> Extra options" and enter the vfs objects string as you wrote it in your post above.

Second approach:
      1. edit /etc/default/openmediavault (You should make a backup copy of this file before)
      2. At the end of the file append "OMV_SAMBA_VFSOBJECTS="catia fruit streams_xattr" (without the quotation marks"" and save the file.
      3. At the command line enter the following commands:
        CLI> omv-mkconf samba
        CLI> systemctl reload smbd.service
      For both approaches you can check the success with the command testparm
      OMV 3.0.90 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304
    • This looks like you are trying to use Apple Timemachine support via SMB. Use Omv5for that, it comes out of the box with this feature.
      Absolutely no support through PM!

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      I will face my fear.
      I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
      And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
      Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
      Only I will remain.

Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit
    • @cabrio_leo Thanks! First approach already works. Now gotta figure out why some files cannot be deleted. Finder always says file in use even though I'm the only one using it

@votdev actually I need these options so that I can use FCPX libraries from within the NAS. Otherwise, I would have to work with the libary file on my desktop/laptop then copy it over when I'm done.