Can't install OMV on NanoPi M4

• Hi,

I have a strange problem. The OMV (v. 4) was running fine on NanoPi M4, then SD failed.
    Now...
    1. I can't install it from image (different SD card, after SD card formatter and f3 checks):
    No HDMI output, green light flashing. Waited for more than 2 hours. Bought Raspberry Pi power 5.1V 3A to address possible HDMI under-voltage. Changed HDMI cable. No luck.

2. Can't install it on armbian Stretch. armbian-config Softy install fails:
    openmediavault-omvextrasorg depends on openmediavault (>= 4.0.4); however: Package openmediavault is not configured yet.

Two questions:
    1. Am I doing something wrong?
    2 Should I wait for OMV5 image maybe?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The OMV (v. 4) was running fine on NanoPi M4, then SD failed.

"Running fine" for how long?

- You said you used a "different SD card"; but is new and is it a good one? SanDisk for example.
    - Did the two cards you're using come from the same source? (Maybe they have same problem?)
    Generic SD-cards are known to cause problems even if they initially test error free. I've had first hand experience with that. And while I've never bought a fake, there's plenty of evidence that they exist and fail quickly, or may be DOA.

Bought Raspberry Pi power 5.1V 3A to address possible HDMI under-voltage. Changed HDMI cable. No luck.

(When you say HDMI, I'm going to assume you mean USB.)

"Amperage" is not the issue. Under-voltage, as in the voltage delivered to the device, is the issue. With long thin wires, the voltage drop over the wire combine with a significant load can cause an under-voltage problem. I've tested and observed this first hand.
    With a good 3 Amp PS and a typical 1 meter USB cable (which has thin gauge wires), under-voltage messages are noted in dmesg. The same PS with a 8cm USB cable (using the same thin gauge wire) was fine. The best possible cable is short, with thick gauge wires. If you can't find that, it's far better to use with a very short USB cable, with an AC extension cord to put your PS where you want it.

Should I wait for OMV5 image maybe?

While I don't have a Nano-Pi, I seriously doubt that the OMV4 image is the issue. Otherwise, this forum would be overrun with posts by Nano-Pi owners. Note: I'm assuming you ran an md5 hash, to check the downloaded image. (If not check your download.)

Unfortunately, the hardware itself (the Nano-PI) can't completely be ruled out. This is why I buy these things (SBC's) in pairs.

Hope this helps.

• No HDMI output

If you do a simple web search for No HDMI output nanopi m4 you end up here: Nanopi M4 OMV HDMI not working -- no HDMI output is to be expected with the image, simply use it headless (and after applying all updates you get HDMI output).

With a good 3 Amp PS and a typical 1 meter USB cable (which has thin gauge wires), under-voltage messages are noted in dmesg

The usual @crashtest BS as almost always. The NanoPi M4 is not a Raspberry Pi and the thread starter already solved potential undervoltage issues by buying the RPi USB-C PSU.

• Offizieller Beitrag

@tkaiser - address the user, not me. Because, as you know, I know you for what you are and, frankly, it's sad.

And despite this foolish air of "all knowing, all seeing", you know nothing of what's actually going here until the user responds. You're "ass"uming, with new users, which you seem to do most of the time. The power cable used could be 3 meters long. Also, the user clearly stated that it was working, it failed, and a reinstall didn't work. Hence, the user noted HDMI issue is purely coincidental.

Now, I've very clearly asked you, on several occasions to stop directly addressing me in user threads - I've said it before, I'll say it again, and this is way beyond repetitive; I don't care what you have to say.

@votdev , @ryecoaaron , I've tolerated this "moderator" for a very long time because, to be honest, it was entertaining for a time. A cup of coffee in the morning, along with a tabloid or the latest tkaiser "advice column", gets a day started on a humorous note.
    His latest signature is entertaining as well; No more contributions to this project until 'alternative facts' (AKA ignorance/stupidity) are gone. That's after the demand that "crashtest be dealt with" or "I didn't want to be part of the project". It's simple melodrama, generated by a prima donna, and it's pretty transparent. It's as if he thinks he has a newbie fan base, who will cry out or something.

@votdev, while it will take some time, reading tkaisers posts through this thread on the Armbian forum will be revealing. It builds as it goes and illustrates a common theme; everyone is stupid, no one knows what they're doing, etc, etc. That applies to all, newbies, experienced users, moderators and a project administrator, Igor. It's as if tkaiser believes he should take over the Armbian project, because ALL involved are incompetent. And it appears as if this addled thought process is being transferred to this project, OMV, but you're the best judge of that.

The effects of what he's doing in threads where he attempts to address me and not the user issue, are beyond counter productive - bordering on tragic. Examples -> I don't care, another, another and another. (These are just recent threads.) If users don't simply go away, he forces threads into PM's to get an issue resolved. Despite my asking him not to, he keeps using the forum's @username feature to continually re-involve me in his nonsense. Take this thread as an example, unanswered for days and when I answer it, well, look at the above. This is a recurring event.

Please note that I'm not asking anyone to do anything, but the forum's user ban feature doesn't work and I'm tired of asking him to cut it out. With OCD firmly in the driver's seat, I doubt it will stop. So, if he keeps this up, he may come to one or both of you screaming "foul", and crying and whining like a little girl, when I put him in his place. In such an event, I'm hoping you'll understand.

• I think I'll add my 2 cents here.

With a Ubuntu server and webmin, I've been looking over the forum for better ways to do things. Love the GUI, BTW. I'm a real fan. It makes things much easier than the CLI. So, I look around the forum, for ideas on what to do with openmediavault.

Most forum responses are friendly, they have a screen shot or two or maybe a command line if needed, for a problem. Ryecoaron even answered a question on the Atomic Pi. Great. Then I see threads tkaiser has crapped in. Starts off fine, gets into a problem, he craps in it and it's over. PITA Looks like an ego thing. Then I follow a link over to the Armbian forum. One word only, UNBELIEVEABLE.

@tkaiser I'll give you some advice. If they're like me, people don't come here to learn about Linux. Linux, pretty much, is the same over all distros. People come here to learn how to work with the openmediavault GUI. Most forum answers give help and advice on that. What you do, when you're not being a jerk and crapping in a thread, reads like a bad Linux textbook.

I can't believe you're a moderator, but maybe you're right. I should give what you do a try. Who knows? If I get it right, maybe I can be a moderator. Here goes. Why don't you get your med's adjusted, learn some f ' ing manners, or at least STFU? How's that? Is that moderator material?

Before you do something stupid like try to ban me, with a VPN, I can be back in 15 mins and be all over you like a real bad rash.

And your banner is a joke.
    No more contributions to this project until 'alternative facts' (AKA ignorance/stupidity) are gone.
    All I'll say is, don't let the door hit your bum on the way out.

For others, I'm a real fan. A great project and a good forum.

• Thanks @tkaiser, @crashtest for replies! Few things still missing to solve the problem:

1. Headless OMV. It seems that the OMV image doesn't allow ssh out of the box. Am I wrong?
    2. Can't install it on armbian Stretch. armbian-config Softy install fails as below. Any idea why?
    openmediavault-omvextrasorg depends on openmediavault (>= 4.0.4); however: Package openmediavault is not configured yet.

Answers to your Qs:
    1. I meant HDMI cable
    2. Yes, under-voltage shouldn't be an issue, though still can be if the image overclocks out of the box.
    3. It was running for 1 year.
    4. Checked the md5
    5. Flash card is ok.

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. Headless OMV. It seems that the OMV image doesn't allow ssh out of the box. Am I wrong?

You probably need to enable root login's. (If you could get there) That's done in the Web GUI at, Services, SSH, enable root logins.

Can't install it on armbian Stretch. armbian-config Softy install fails as below. Any idea why?

Set OMV aside for now. Are you saying that Armbian Stretch will install and work on the NanoPi? Have you SSH'ed into an Armbian install? (That seems to be what you're saying above.) If Armbian installs and you can SSH in, your hardware (the NanoPI) should be OK.

• It seems that the OMV image doesn't allow ssh out of the box

The readme.txt at download location still fully applies: https://sourceforge.net/projec…ngle%20Board%20Computers/

under-voltage shouldn't be an issue, though still can be if the image overclocks out of the box

If you use the official RPi USB-C PSU this can't be an issue. At least without any USB drives connected at install time. You can simply access the web interface by using the board's name: http://nanopim4 or http://nanopim4.local (the latter will work with every reasonable OS except Windows prior to Win10)

• The power cable used could be 3 meters long. Also, the user clearly stated that it was working, it failed, and a reinstall didn't work

Total BS as usual.

• The RPi USB-C PSU has a fixed cable and the length is sufficient for no voltage drops to occur even at 3A (of course I tested this the day I got my RPi USB-C PSU several weeks ago)
    • This new PSU has been bought later on
    • The user was confused about missing HDMI output which is to be expected with the image since I created those images for RK3399 based FriendlyELEC boards when HDMI driver support was not ready. This is what I explained to the user above.

Your incompetence is frightening. It's both lack of knowledge and methodology which disqualifies everything originating from you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As it always seems, threads you break into become about you and your opinions.

At least there's an improvement here - at least this time you addressed the user direct. For that little bit, good for you. :) That's at least minor progress. But your user post is the usual, done in the usual manner, "read this" with the implication that, "there's no problem here". OK, let's see if this sinks in; if what works in the optimum scenario, actually worked all the time, users wouldn't post on a forum. Dictation doesn't work. It's about a "dialog".

Your incompetence is frightening. It's both lack of knowledge and methodology which disqualifies everything originating from you.

You are actually clinical... :) There just has be a little more drama.... Tell me, seriously, (don't dodge it) are you seeing a therapist? I think we both know you are, even if you won't admit it. (I've noticed what might be cycles, that may be better controlled if doses are more carefully monitored. But, for med's to be more effective, you need a good therapist and you'll have be honest with him/her during sessions. That's important.)

The thickest "BS" being spread around here is your own and you're attempting to disguise a few tons of it, in the form of opinions, among a hand full of very narrow (often flawed) observations. And, please, don't pretend that you know anything about the scientific method. It's abundantly clear that you don't, and this certainly isn't about that.

"Oh - there's no symbolic links in ZFS snapshots, that's BS, you don't know what you're talking about." (That's from just a few days ago.) And yet there are threads regarding the exact same subject, on github. And you blurt this out, come up with this "stuff", on the fly... Really?

Much as it is with power issues, IP addresses, and other topics - your strange little reality seems to be based in, "I've never seen it before - ergo - it doesn't exist." The world doesn't change (actually can't) just because you may want it to. I could go on, but I'm not suffering from OCD.

Look, you act out, I get that. You can't help yourself (OCD), I get that too. There's an overwhelming compulsion (OCD again), to be "right all the time". While I hate to admit that I found it entertaining at one point, in reference to this forum and others, you have some serious problems interfacing with people. At some level, I think you may suspect this, but you keep rationalizing what you're doing under an umbrella of self delusion, "I'm just telling them like it is".
    Look, maybe you should consider getting out for some sunshine, try interfacing with real people, that kind of thing. It's more reality based and good therapy. If you're simply looking for more "drama" to spice up your life, the real world has plenty of it.

@ivan.vaskevych I'm hoping you've figured out what's happening with your install. If not, there's a "conversation" available in the upper left. I've found a PM is the only way to eliminate this kind of interference.

My Regrets and,
    Regards.

• Problem solved guys, thanks!
    I got a web console access and cleared the ssh way through it.

I think the problem with softy installation was due to NTP blocked by my ISP (don't ask...)
    Couldn't apt diist-upgrade due to this as well.

I reduced the CPU clock but didn't check HDMI output yet.

Case closed.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!