mellanox connectX3 card help

• re: mellanox connectX3 x353a singleport 40gbe card help

Ive just purchased one of these cards and installed into my OMV.

OMV didnt recognise the card in either web gui or CLI,

Iv serached online but cant seem to find an answer

i) if this card is compatiable at all in OMV

ii) is there and sort of guide of installing or building necessary drivers at all.

maybe the w-get command.

Im not particularly linux savy, so would prefer a web gui inteface guide preferable , i dont even know how to download an iso and transfer it to my OMV install drive with a command line.

Your help would be most appreciated .

• Have you looked around on the maker's web site?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I have but the mellanox site is a bit of a mess to be honest.
    Found a link to mellanox linux drivers but couldnt quite figure out what to do and needed help.

https://community.mellanox.com…-install-mlnx-ofed-driver

Do OMV users usually have to download drivers usually , I ultimately gave up on the site,as it wouldnt even allow me to download the ISO for the driver.

Any other suggestions?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do OMV users usually have to download drivers usually

No. Usually support for hardware is in the kernel. But, to be supported in the kernel, hardware is generally not cutting edge. Also supported devices tend to be popular and used widely. Cutting edge and rare hardware, may mean a driver is required.

I looked at the Mellanox site and have to agree - it's certainly not intuitive. There are a lot of links to install advice, but nothing that seems to lead to an actual driver for your particular card. (I didn't try wget commands.) Further, http://www.mellanox.com/downloads is not browsable which seems odd.

If you search the forum, there's a thread regarding the 10gb Mellanox adapter. Maybe that will help.

If it was me, I'd try a call or an E-mail to Mellanox support but if you're close to the end of the return window, I'd think about returning the card.

• Is there a list of guranteed mellanox supported devices for OMV??

Can user here suggest some card models that work, there are so many diifernt model numbers on the market

As already stated the most popular devices are supported out of the box. Those that aren't will require a driver.

Your best be will be to use an Intel NIC, but always determine which driver it needs and verify that the underlying version of Debian that OMV uses provides it, if not verify Intel has the correct driver available for download.

Also, I am curious as to what your expectations/use case are for a 40gbe card?

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• thanks for the tip. Although i guess i will still be flying blind if i buy a Intel NIC, as i cant find any taht definitely do work with OMV.

I thought all Mellanox Cards were fine to be honest

I guess im expecting faster speeds than an 10gbe card, but i guess in real world scenario it isnt the case..

Ive bought the 2 identical mellanbnox cards and qfsp+ cable hoping to get it to connect directly OMV to a windows box .

• Don't focus on OMV for compatibility. It's Debian under the hood.

My guess is that you will never see the speeds that a card like that is capable unless you have a large array of fast disks that are in a stripe set.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!