Attaching Hardware RAID Enclosure over USB to OMV server

• Hello,

I've set up my OMV server with 2 X 3.5 inch HDDs as mirror (RAID 1)
    I got another external enclosure for 2 X 2.5 inch HDDs that I want to utilize as a second separate file system (RAID 0).
    I have set the enclosure to operate the disks in RAID 0, so I only basically want OMV to mount the 2 drives in the enclosure.
    My question is, do I have to mount both drives or I should just mount one of the two and let the enclosure do the rest of the job?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Thank you both for your answers.

The enclosure is set to run the drives as a combined filesystem RAID 0.

However, under the filesystem tab, should I ''create'' and ''mount'' both drives or just one of them?

Under ''disks'' tab I can see both drives available despite the enclosure is in RAID 0 mode.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would agree with @jollyrogr bad idea! Best guess is that OMV does not see the enclosure as what is basically a hardware raid controller of some description.

Have you tested it with another raid option as I'm guessing it will run raid 1, these enclosures usually can be set as JBOD, Raid 0, Raid 1.

JBOD would be the better option.

• I would agree with @jollyrogr bad idea! Best guess is that OMV does not see the enclosure as what is basically a hardware raid controller of some description.

Have you tested it with another raid option as I'm guessing it will run raid 1, these enclosures usually can be set as JBOD, Raid 0, Raid 1.

JBOD would be the better option.

Thanks for your help!

It's actually one of those cheap RAID enclosures
    https://www.aliexpress.com/ite…042311.0.0.27424c4dVJPaqL

However, I tested all available modes on a Windows PC and does seem to work fine.
    In the beginning I thought about setting the drives as independent - JBOD mode having in mind to set RAID 0 through OMV but as far as I'm concearned OMV 4.0 won't allow any RAID configurations over USB.

Given the above, what would you suggest?

Cheers

• Offizieller Beitrag

However, I tested all available modes on a Windows PC and does seem to work fine.

It will, because that is what it is designed for :)

Set it to JBOD (Just a bunch of disks) wipe both disks, then set a filesystem on each ext4 and they will mount, configure/use one as your main drive then install the rsnapshot plugin and configure the second drive to take snapshots of the first....simples :) that way if one drive goes down you can recover. Also the snapshot can be run 'out of hours'.

• It will, because that is what it is designed for :)
    Set it to JBOD (Just a bunch of disks) wipe both disks, then set a filesystem on each ext4 and they will mount, configure/use one as your main drive then install the rsnapshot plugin and configure the second drive to take snapshots of the first....simples :) that way if one drive goes down you can recover. Also the snapshot can be run 'out of hours'.

I didn't have particularly high expectations when I bought it but to my surprise it works according to specifications! :)

In fact I have my main filesystem (the 3.5 inch drives) running in RAID 1 and that one is the ''important'' filesystem.

I was hopping to set those smaller 2.5 ones as RAID 0 for speed and various OMV plugins and applications such as transmission.

Before I put them into the enclosure, I formatted them on a Windows PC using diskmanager and they were immediately recognized by the server when I connected them and rebooted. The strange thing is that with the enclosure set at RAID 0 mode, both drives are discovered by OMV and am able to mount them as if they were independent one another.

Thank you!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I didn't have particularly high expectations when I bought it but to my surprise it works according to specifications!

Yes it will it's designed for use with Windows.

Before I put them into the enclosure, I formatted them on a Windows PC using diskmanager

So the drives are formatted to NTFS? not a good idea.

There's nothing strange on how OMV sees the drives, these units are fitted with a crude raid controller for them to work under Linux they will require a driver/firmware in the kernel, as this is not 'built in' to OMV it sees them as independent drives.

Why Raid 0? one drive dies you lose it all, you can set up a Raid via USB on OMV but only from the command line.

• Offizieller Beitrag

:D if you want to use Raid for USB there is no guide not even on here it makes no difference whether the drives are attached to a m'board or to USB it's the same procedure, it's just that using Raid on USB is just a bad idea, so if you do it and it goes 'tits up' don't call us we'll call you :D

You need to to search for mdadm that is the software raid in OMV and Linux and you'll need the drives reference i.e. /dev/sda etc.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!