Slow speeds

• @table681 he's giving you good advice. Provider "required" equipment covers a very wide range. It can be quite good, like a fritz!box, or it's a piece of "low bidder" heavily locked down junk, like the ADSL router I have. With my provider's router, while it does DHCP, I can't alter the range or even set a DHCP lease reservation. All I can do, functionally, is set a WiFi passphrase (the key) and turn WiFi on and off. The switch part of it is 100mbs which is fine for a single gateway interface - not so good for LAN use.

My solution was installing my router (with 1GB ports) behind their router. As a result I get roughly the same iperf numbers geaves has, on the wired side.

In your case, as recommended, a good low cost solution would be a 1GB switch or, (more expensive and a bit more complex) a router with 1GB ports, to put behind your providers equipment.

Okay I will test a switch tomorrow but in the mean time do you have any router suggestions you could give to me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

First, my sincere apologies to @geaves for barging into this thread. (There's way too much of that on the forum.)

in the mean time do you have any router suggestions you could give to me.

I hate to say this but the answer to that question is a BIG, "It Depends". Obviously, the budget is a primary consideration but other features for your case may be of importance.

New or used? I got a refurb D-Link Dir835 for $20 on E-bay, and flashed it with DD-WRT firmware for lots of high end features. It works for me, but it's still a consumer router and buying anything on an auction site comes with a risk. If you want something ultra-reliable, Ubiquity hardware comes highly recommended by experienced forum users, but it comes with a higher price.

Given the considerations on your side of the pond (VAT taxes, brand availability, etc.) , @geaves could make a better router recommendation than I could.

• Offizieller Beitrag

A switch is the cheapest and reliable option, the great thing about the BT style hub is their wireless and it's range I've never had a problem with that.
    I've had 2 non BT routers, a Draytek and a Billion, both of which were excellent in their own way but at the time I needed some extra bells and whistles, each lasted about 2 years before their wireless chip died.
    For most home users the ISP provided hub in the UK is sufficient, it has dual band wireless and dhcp what more do you want, it's just the ethernet connections on the rear are not what they are billed to be.
    The reason I bought the Business Hub is because it has the capability of changing the DNS option (something yours and the HH5 cannot do) this allows me to use a Raspberry Pi as a DNS server using Pi-Hole.
    If you add a switch your internal network will improve and further problems would be related to the Dell and the use of the DVD sata port that 'could be' the bottleneck regarding read write speeds, but it should be marginal.

TBH I had guessed from your first post that the router was the issue, but I wasn't prepared to jump in until I had some more information. Personally I would rather spend £10-20 on a powered switch than upwards of £40+ for another router which you will need to ensure it will work with Plusnet. The other disadvantage with ISP's in the UK is that they will not give support if you use a third party router.

• Hi all,

At home I did setup an ubiquity edgerouter x behind my isp provider box (setup as bridge) and internal perf are much better since then, not accounting this equipment is astoundingly sophisticated and flexible (hardware dpi, auto firewall, timely updates and so on).

All this for ~50€..

Just saying

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

• Okay so I finally got around to test a switch I am using netgear gs208 however my speeds have not improved. As you can see by the image below when I was doing the iperf test in fact when my computer which was connecting to the NAS was on wifi it performed faster test however half way through the test failed.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!