Slow speeds

• Hi,

My NAS is up and running however the speeds are topping out at around 45 megabytes, while this is good it is not what I would like it to be. Both the NAS and the Computers are all connected by ethernet at 1 gigabit through my router. I would love to achieve around 100 megabytes especially when reading data.

I am running 3x500gb drives in RAID 5. All connected individually through sata 2 so the speed here should not be an issue as each drive gets me around 100 megabyte read and write, and sata 2 is capable of 150 megabytes
    Processor : Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5500 @ 2.80GHz
    RAM : 4GB

If you require any other information please ask.
    Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Both the NAS and the Computers are all connected by ethernet at 1 gigabit through my router.

So everything is connected via ethernet cable to your router? Router make and model?

All connected individually through sata 2

This implies older hardware, information on NAS?

• So everything is connected via ethernet cable to your router? Router make and model?

Hi,

I am using the Plusnet Hub one. This is the standard router by wifi came with however I have found it to be excellent the ports are all gigabit ports and when testing speeds between two computers on my network I receive around 800-900 megabits with one of the computers on wifi (5 GHz) and one with ethernet. I am using Cat 7 ethernet cables (Only one computer and the NAS are connected to ethernet)

This implies older hardware, information on NAS?

Im running the NAS off a Dell Optiplex 780 SFF
    The computer is completely fine spec wise, as I said earlier the CPU is a Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5500 @ 2.80GHz and it has 4GB of DDR2 Ram running on the system and the ethernet port is capable of 1 gigabit speeds.

• I have removed the dvd drive as it is not needed. The sata port of the dvd drive is 1.5 gigabits (sata 1) but that is plenty fast enough to be able to get 100 megabytes speed.

For the drives I am using seagate drives each 500 gb. When testing the drives by themselves I get around 120-150 megabytes (when plugged directly into computer not nas) so I don’t believe the drives are the issue.

• I can’t screenshot at the moment but they are Seagate ST500DM009 500 GB (BarraCuda)

• Do you understand the output of the test?

As far as I understand all it does it test the maximum speed between the two devices I had previously done this test and that was why I was asking the forums for help. Is there anyway I can plug the NAS directly into my computer via ethernet to test the speeds to see if that changes the speed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As far as I understand all it does it test the maximum speed between the two devices

It tests the maximum available bandwidth, your output is less than 100Mb so something is wrong, in the GUI of OMV go to Diagnostics -> System Information -> Report look for Interface inforamtion <network name> this will show you the speed OMV is connecting, don't know about your other ethernet computer you haven't given any information.

• It says

Speed: 1000Mb/s

And the other device I have connected is an Imac 2019 so I highly doubt this is the problem. On top of this I have also tried a windows computer and that output similar speeds. Like I said is there anyway I can test the speed by plugging the NAS into my computer

• Offizieller Beitrag

Like I said is there anyway I can test the speed by plugging the NAS into my computer

Not worth the effort!

I'm guessing you are in the UK as you are using a Plusnet Hub One, this is nothing more than a rebadged BT Home Hub 5, I have been a BT customer for longer than I can remember.

These hub's are what they are, their Ethernet reliability is that of a chocolate teapot, you could try changing the port connections around and keep testing with iperf, the port connections on these are no more than hubs.

But the simplest and straightforward solution is a 10/100/1000 or 100/1000 powered switch, connect the router to the switch and then each computer to the switch and you'll solve the throughput. I am using a BT Business Hub bought from ebay and a TP-Link powered switch, you've seen the output from my iperf test.

BTW you don't need Cat7, Cat5e is more than enough.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have been a BT customer for longer than I can remember.

And that is a very l-o-n-g time. Sorry @geaves , I couldn't resist. :D

@table681 he's giving you good advice. Provider "required" equipment covers a very wide range. It can be quite good, like a fritz!box, or it's a piece of "low bidder" heavily locked down junk, like the ADSL router I have. With my provider's router, while it does DHCP, I can't alter the range or even set a DHCP lease reservation. All I can do, functionally, is set a WiFi passphrase (the key) and turn WiFi on and off. The switch part of it is 100mbs which is fine for a single gateway interface - not so good for LAN use.

My solution was installing my router (with 1GB ports) behind their router. As a result I get roughly the same iperf numbers geaves has, on the wired side.

In your case, as recommended, a good low cost solution would be a 1GB switch or, (more expensive and a bit more complex) a router with 1GB ports, to put behind your providers equipment.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!