Best way for plex server

• Hello,

I only use my computer for plex and have OMV installed
    I see there is a Plex Plugin in OMV Extras but also via docker and perhaps even more
    Wich would be the best/easiest way to install plex? and to keep it updated?
    Thanks in advance

• thanks I got it to work
    now is there a way I can copy my existing plex database to this linuxversion?
    or make this plex search in that same folder? its an external ssd connected to my computer

• Is your existing Plex database on Windows or Linux? There's instructions on the Plex site (or forums, don't remember) for copying from Linux to Linux, and Windows to Windows, they also have a post on going from Windows to Linux. I tried it (going from Windows to Linux) and it turned into such a giant PITA that I ended up rebuilding my database from scratch.

And I have a huge library, with 600+ movies and 30+ TV Series, plus my music.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Is this old airplane safe to fly? How in the world do you think it got to be this old?

• its both on linux
    I first used the OMV extras plugin and it created a database on an external SSD
    now im using Plex with docker and would preferably just let him use the same database on the external SSD

• its both on linux
    I first used the OMV extras plugin and it created a database on an external SSD
    now im using Plex with docker and would preferably just let him use the same database on the external SSD

This was the link that I found on the Plex support forum. Basically, you move everything over to the new data folders and then copy the library database info over. Windows has registry keys associated with it and that's why moving from Windows to Linux is a PITA.

https://support.plex.tv/articl…p-plex-media-server-data/

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Is this old airplane safe to fly? How in the world do you think it got to be this old?

• So on the link I got I found this:

Linux & NAS
    In Linux and on NAS devices, the preferences.xml file in the main Plex Media Server directory contains the corresponding settings. So, that means there isn’t anything else special that you need to back up.

im not sure where to find the main "Plex Media Server directory"
    is it a setting in docker or the container?
    can't i just change the path to my external ssd?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you install directly (not using docker) then the Plex Media Server directory is at:

/var/lib/plexmediaserver

If you installed using docker then it is somewhere in a docker image. Most likely a remapped path like the one above.

One problem with /var/lib/plexmediaserver and docker images is that by default they are placed on the root filesystem. This is VERY bad if the root filesystem is a USB thumbdrive or a SD card.

It is VERY bad because it can quickly fill the root fs and crash the NAS. Also it means a lot of writing to the root fs, something that can/will quickly destroy a USB thumbdrive or a SD card.

It is possible (even recommended) to move /var/lib/plexmediaserver and the storage for docker images from flash memory to another drive, bigger and more suitable for a lot of writes. There are several posts about that on this forum.

If your root fs is on a SSD with plenty of room, rather than a normal thumbdrive or SD card, then you may not want/need to move either the docker base path or /var/lib/plexmediaserver. The SSD is built to handle writes better than the thumbdrive or SD card.

For details search here or on google for:

OMV docker base path

or

OMV move /var/lib/plexmediaserver

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!