too many Inodes on 80TB filesystem creation

• Hi,
    I'm switching from old data disk raid, to new bigger disks on a hardware raid, omv is installed on debian. The old raid disk was 15TB, the new is 81TB, when I use the web interface to format the filesystem ext4 it assigns 1.3 billion Inodes, which seems excessive. The 15TB disk had 4M, which is maybe a bit low but I was at 45% usage in inodes when at 90% space so.

Is there a way to lower the inode count for creation? I think fsck with over a billion inodes would have issues or am I living in the past?

Thanks for any insight.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a way to lower the inode count for creation?

Yes, The -N flag of mkfs.ext4 allows you specify the number of inodes. You can't change the number on an existing filesystem though as far as I know.

I think fsck with over a billion inodes would have issues or am I living in the past?

I have plenty of drives with 250 million inodes but not using many. fsck isn't an issue. I guess it depends on how many you are using.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!