Replacing healthy raid and disk for a different type

• So I did googling, but all I could see was failed disks.

In my case, I have RAID mirror (mdadm) with EXT4 formatted that is healthy and both drives still up and running fine.
    I have 2x 1tb SSD's but they are not like for like, one is an older model, and I stumbled across another 1tb that is like for like.

So I want to swap out the unmatching SSD in this raid mirror.

IS it as easy as shutdown, pull out old SSD, turn on, and click recover and include the new SSD?
    I dont need to remove the old one first or anything from OMV?

• Offizieller Beitrag

IS it as easy as shutdown, pull out old SSD, turn on, and click recover and include the new SSD?

Short answer.....No!

You can do all this is the GUI;

Raid Management -> select your raid -> select delete on the toolbar -> popup should appear displaying the 2 drives -> select the drive to remove -> click ok, the drive has now been removed from the array, you can remove the drive from the machine.

Install the new drive;

Storage Disks -> select the newly inserted drive, select wipe on the toolbar, short wipe should be enough.

Wipe complete;

Storage File Systems;

Format the new drive with the same filesystem as the one you are keeping -> EXT4

Once Format has finished;

Raid Management -> Recover on the toolbar -> popup box should appear -> select the new drive -> click ok

The raid should now be resyncing/rebuilding with the new drive, whilst you can still access the data I personally would wait until this is completed.

If you do as you suggested the raid would not appear in the GUI and the output from cat /proc/mdstat would show the raid as inactive, rather than clean/degraded, that is because mdadm has not been 'told' a drive has been removed from it's configuration.

• So tried to remove the disk and it says:

StorageRAID Management

CreateGrowRemoveRecoverDetailDelete

Name
    Device
    State
    Level
    Capacity
    Devices

openmediavault:jailhouse/dev/md0clean, degradedMirror931.39 GiB/dev/sdo

Page

of 1
    Displaying items 1 - 1 of 1

Remove devices from RAID device
    Name

Level

Devices

Device
    Capacity
    Vendor
    Serial Number

/dev/sdn931.51 GiBn/aS21DNXAG505308M

/dev/sdo931.51 GiBn/aS4CSNE0M203413P

Select devices to be removed from the RAID device.

OKCancel
    Error
    devices: The value is not an array.
    Error #0:OMV\Json\SchemaValidationException: devices: The value is not an array. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/json/schema.inc:380Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/json/schema.inc(277): OMV\Json\Schema->validateArray(Object(stdClass), Array, 'devices')#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/json/schema.inc(257): OMV\Json\Schema->validateType(Object(stdClass), Array, 'devices')#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/config/datamodel.inc(155): OMV\Json\Schema->validate(Object(stdClass), 'devices')#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/config/configobject.inc(189): OMV\Config\DataModel->validateProperty('devices', Array)#4 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/raidmgmt.inc(458): OMV\Config\ConfigObject->set('devices', Array)#5 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceRaidMgmt->remove(Array, Array)#6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('remove', Array, Array)#8 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('RaidMgmt', 'remove', Array, Array, 1)#9 {main}

• So got this email today:

Is there something I need to do still?
    Its recovered and clean running on both drives according to the GUI.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Its recovered and clean running on both drives according to the GUI.

No it's fine, this came up recently I think the solution was to turn off raid notifications, save then apply, then turn it back on, save then apply.

• Can I ask a supplementary question, as it looks to me like this thread also answers my question, but I'd like to be sure. I also have a 2x1TB setup, but want to move up to 2x4TB. I only have room for the two drives, but it looks like I can achieve the switch to two new drives by carrying out the above sequence twice - first swapping out one of the 1TB drives for one of the 4TB drives, having it synch and then deleting the remaining 1TB drive, swapping that for the other 4TB drive, and then resyncing again. And I should end up with my data on the two new 4TB drives. Is that correct?

• Offizieller Beitrag

And I should end up with my data on the two new 4TB drives. Is that correct?

Yes, but -> there's always a but :) the raid will still be 1TB

EDIT: The question should be why are you using Raid 1 anyway there are better ways to do things.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!