Alternatives to RAID 1 for redundancy with mixed drive pool?

• Was going to build RAID 5 out of 3x 10TB 3.5" drives, to achieve a reasonable compromise between capacity and redundancy, but it is starting to look I may have to settle for 2x 10TB 3.5" + 2x 5TB 2.5" drives instead. Is there a point trying to make something similar to RAID5 out of this drive pool, or should I just stick to RAID1 for each pair of the drives sacrificing capacity for redundancy & reliability?

• Offizieller Beitrag

How about using Rsync for a disk-to-disk copy and getting some actual backup. RAID1 does nothing for backup. A data disaster or other issue is replicated instantly to the second disk. That's the nature of RAID1 - lose one disk and there's a good chance data will be lost on the other.

Take a look at -> this, on page 75 (in the current version) It might work for you.

• @crashtest you're right, rsync might be a better solution for me, allowing more flexibility and space in my particular scenario where I don't really need to provide redundancy for part of the data - and I definitely will be satisfied by speeds of single drive. I'll still try to find a way to cram 3x 3.5" 10TB instead of mixing 3.5" and 2.5" drives, of course. Thank you!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You're welcome. :)

I'll still try to find a way to cram 3x 3.5" 10TB instead of mixing 3.5" and 2.5" drives, of course.

If you're looking to pool dissimilar drives under a common mount point, give the UnionFS plugin a look. It doesn't care about drive speeds or size.

And if you really want a RAID5 "like" array, maybe give SNAPRAID a look. It doesn't care about drive speeds or sizes either. For the cost of one disk (it must be the same size as the largest or the largest disk); there's a lot of nice features like being able to recover a full hard drive, file/folder recovery, and bit-rot detection and correction.

I've been using both UnionFS+SNAPRAID plugin's on a backup server, for several months, and have been real happy with them so far. Even if they're not for you, they may be worth a look for future planning.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!