Problem with first installation of OMV4 on Odroid HC2

• Hi,
    I've just bought an Odroid HC2 and try to get OMV4 running.
    The OMV image is put onto a SD card (tried with Samsung 32GB and Sandisc 32GB) with Etcher and then the card is put into HC2. But all I get is all three LED's (red, blue, green) turned on permanently. The HC2 doesn't seem to boot.
    Has anyone experienced same issue?

Best regards,
    Rayko

• Did you wait a few minutes?
    And did you try to look for the HC2 on the network via your dhcp/router assinged ip adress?

Yes, I've waited for a few minutes. But I can't tell you how long it was.
    I've plugged in a network cable, but the LED for it didn't light up. And I haven't found the device within the DHCP address list.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would use SD Card Formatter to format the card first. Should not be necessary, but does not harm.
    Then check the md5 sum of the image to make sure it has not been corrupted during download.
    Finally do not unpack the image. Etcher will unpack it.

One more thing: there was one report in the forum, that the image only worked after Etcher had been updated / reinstalled.

• I would use SD Card Formatter to format the card first. Should not be necessary, but does not harm.
    Then check the md5 sum of the image to make sure it has not been corrupted during download.
    Finally do not unpack the image. Etcher will unpack it.

One more thing: there was one report in the forum, that the image only worked after Etcher had been updated / reinstalled.

Sorry for the late reply!
    I've tried the steps you mentioned. Card has been formated right before flashing the image (unpacked). Checksum is ok. And I've used the last Etcher version.
    But still the same problem. I've waited for about an hour and the LED's are permanently on. No blinking etc. Network LED doesn't light.
    I did not connect a hard disk first. But I think that shouldn't matter.

Btw: Is this a German speaking forum or is English more appreciated?

• Sorry for the late reply!I've tried the steps you mentioned. Card has been formated right before flashing the image (unpacked). Checksum is ok. And I've used the last Etcher version.
    But still the same problem. I've waited for about an hour and the LED's are permanently on. No blinking etc. Network LED doesn't light.
    I did not connect a hard disk first. But I think that shouldn't matter.

Btw: Is this a German speaking forum or is English more appreciated?

As macom wrote, do not unpack the image.

kr.,
    Frepke

HP t630 Thin Cliënt (AMD Embedded G-Series GX-420GI | QuadCore | 8GB)
    7.0.5-1 (Sandworm) | 64 bit | pve-kernel-6.8 | omvextrasorg 7.0

• As I wrote, I haven't unpacked it ;-}

Okay, but you wrote: Card has been formated right before flashing the image (unpacked).
    To be clear, you loaded the .xz file in Ether?

kr.,
    Frepke

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Frepke ()

• Btw: Is this a German speaking forum or is English more appreciated?

There ist no basic restriction which language shall be used. You can post in German too. But if you post in English then you will reach a bigger audience and therefore is a better chance for help.

Aber hin und wieder ein paar Threads in Deutsch sind auch mal ganz nett :) und die deutschsprachige Gemeinde ist auch nicht ganz so klein.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo () aus folgendem Grund: typo

• Okay, but you wrote: Card has been formated right before flashing the image (unpacked).To be clear, you loaded the .xz file in Ether?

kr.,
    Frepke

I see, I've written it misleadingly. Sorry for that!
    And yes, the .xz file is loaded in Ether. I haven't done anything with the original downloaded file (except checking the MD5).

• There ist no basic restriction which language shall be used. You can post in German too. But if you post in English then you willl reach a bigger audience and therefore is a better chance for help.
    Aber hin und wieder ein paar Threads in Deutsch sind auch mal ganz nett :) und die deutschsprachige Gemeinde ist auch nicht ganz so klein .

Gut zu wissen. Dankeschön ;-}

• I see, I've written it misleadingly. Sorry for that!And yes, the .xz file is loaded in Ether. I haven't done anything with the original downloaded file (except checking the MD5).

I've an HC1 myself, the OMV installation is always easy.
    The first boot takes only a few minutes and the system is ready to go.

The networkcable must be plugged in before the first boot!

kr.,
    Frepke

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Frepke ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

During the whole installation you MUST have the HC2 connected to a network with working internet access and a working DHCP-server. A typical home LAN, with a router connected to an ISP and internet, in other words.

You don't need to have a hdd connected during the initial install. You can shut down and add a hdd later.

Make sure to use a good SD card that is at least 8 GB. Preferably 16 GB or more. I just bought some new SanDisk Extreme 64GB for my HC2s. No need to format the card before etcher writes the image.

• Thank you for yours answers!
    Network cable was plugged in during my test. But the LED didn't light. (I've also tested the cable with another machine and this worked.)
    I've been using a SanDisk 32GB card. I think this should be ok.
    Meanwhile I've got the feeling that the HC2 might be broken.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You may want to examine the settings for the DHCP server to make sure it really allows new previously "unknown" never seen clients. And allows new "unknown" clients full access to the internet via the router. That is the normal setting. But it is also possible to configure a DHCP server so that it refuse to accept new/unknown clients. This might be the case in schools or company networks that are less open.

You haven't said if this is in your own home network, with a normal router running a normal DHCP server with default settings, or somewhere else where possibly the security is higher and the DHCP server restricts access to the network and internet...

• It's my home network with default settings. So new devices are allowed to have access to the internet.
    The cable and the port shouldn't be the problem as I use this for other devices as well.
    I've returned it to the seller now and hope to get a new one. I'll give an update on this as soon as I have more info.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If it's not showing in your dhcp list and you know the dhcp server is working properly, then it's either

1. The cable
    2. The router/switch port
    3. The device.

I personally would start over, and make sure the cable is plugged in during the whole installation and give it about 4-5min to boot the first time.

If that doesn't work, maybe install armbian-stretch, and then install OMV on top of that?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!