Using my NAS (OMV 4.X) for virtualization

• Hi all,

I have my OMV 4.X running smoothly as simple NAS/Rsync on an old HP desktop with 3GB RAM, and 2x2TB RAID 1. I want to use it to run some lightweight VM'S, mostly Linux distros so i could fiddle with them without the risks of doing it in the NAS directly. My other machine here is a Windows workstation, so i'm looking for a web-based admin console of the VM'S.

I've tried the VirtualBox plugin, but no luck. After a lot of trying i think i want to try another solution, e.g. KVM, proxmox and similar.

What are the current choices, with the last 4.x version?

Thanks in advance!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I recommend using cockpit to manage KVM VMs - https://forum.openmediavault.o…?postID=189087#post189087

Otherwise, I would virtualize OMV on proxmox or ESXi. 3GB of ram is pretty tight though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

But i don't want to virtualize OMV, but using it a as a base system to virtualize oher instances of linux, running one at the time, just for fiddling. I don't understand clearly if it's possible, though.

Virtualizing OMV was the second options. The first is to install cockpit per the video to exactly what you wanted to try.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Ok, correct me if i'm wrong. In order to obtain a virtualization ambient, on my OMV machine I have to:

- clone my baremetal OMV with clonezilla (today i just made and copied in several locations, and one HDD as spare)
    - install PMX in the bare metal
    - create a linux VM in PMX
    - restore the cloned image

What are the possible caveats?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is PMX? Not sure why you have to do anything of that. Install cockpit and cockpit-machines. Go to cockpit web interface and create VM. Done.

• Hi all,

after a lot of trying and searching for a solution i'm stuck! I can create a VM, but can't start it. this is the error message:

INSTALL VM action failedshow lessERROR internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: sb.0,firstport=4,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5.0x2 -device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6 -drive file=/var/lib/libvirt/images/devuan.qcow2,format=qcow2,if=none,id=drive-virtio-disk0 -device virtio-blk-pci,scsi=off,bus=pci.0,addr=0x7,drive=drive-virtio-disk0,id=virtio-disk0,bootindex=2 -drive file=/srv/dev-disk-by-label-2tb/sw/os/OMV/devuan_ascii_2.0.0_amd64_netinst.iso,format=raw,if=none,id=drive-ide0-0-0,readonly=on -device ide-cd,bus=ide.0,unit=0,drive=drive-ide0-0-0,id=ide0-0-0,bootindex=1 -netdev tap,fd=26,id=hostnet0,vhost=on,vhostfd=28 -device virtio-net-pci,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:50:23:02,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3 -chardev pty,id=charserial0 -device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0 -chardev socket,id=charchannel0,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channel/target/domain-1-devuan/org.qemu.guest_agent.0,server,nowait -device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,id=channel0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 -chardev spice Domain installation does not appear to have been successful. If it was, you can restart your domain by running: virsh --connect qemu:///system start devuan otherwise, please restart your installation.

Any ideas?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!