NOOB! Can anyone help me with my first Nas build

• Hello everyone,

I am very excited about Openmediavault and I have been saving hard to create my first home NAS solution.

This is what I have come up with on Pcpartpicker :

Can anyone see anything I have overlooked or recommend any cheaper or better parts that will fit my use case and budget?.

I have a max budget of £1100 including storage.

My requirements/questions:

• 4 x 3TB WD Red Nas drives 5400RPM - Some kind of RAID 6 or 5 for parity? - ZFS filesystem? or btfs?. Is NFS stable on OMV? - ( Will be used to backup 3 linux desktops and 2 windows machines via Rsync and SMB - Some file shares to serve a remote Linux home folder. Downloads folder, a sync folder and a media folder for films and tv shows also an appdata folder for containers).
    • How much DDR4 RAM will I need and does it have to be ECC?. I was thinking 32GB is this overkill?.
    • Docker containers running Emby/plex Full movie streaming encoding etc, Pi-hole for LAN DNS, Nextcloud, Letsencrypt, Duckdns, syncthing, qbittorent maybe up to 10-20 containers (Some containers like Nextcloud to be accessible to outside the LAN). What is the best practice for security?.
    • Virtualize 1 or two (More if possible) Linux/win desktops at some point maybe in the future to play with or use as isolated pen testing lab.
    • A full stack web development environment to code on. Apache or Nginx PHP etc. (VM or a container)
    • Energy efficient so it is not eating away at the electricity.
    • Encrypted before it leaves the server offsite backups to cloud Google Drive? possibly? Something cheap.
    • Offsite Raspberry Pi 3 with 2 x USB drives attached via powered hub. (Could just be encrypted LUKS external drives then, mounted then Rsync the data.)
    • Isolated network connected to some containers though a dedicated NIC for IOT to connect to?. Just an idea not a must.
    • Do I need a PCI-e GPU?. The motherboard I have chosen has built in graphics will this be enough? - If not do have an old Nvidia GTX 260 PCI express card kicking about. Would this work? Would it be compatible/powerful enough for encoding/media streaming. etc If not could I add one in the £1000 budget?, Which model?. i would rather not use a dedicated GPU as it also raises the PSU Wattage.
    • I like the look of the Node 304 black case so hardware Motherboard/CPU would I need to be compatible.
    • A UPS as I live in an area prone to powercuts and surges. I was looking at this one from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/APC-B…64396171&s=gateway&sr=8-4
    • The server will be in the living room within a cupboard. It would be great to be as quiet as possible.
    • Would 5400RPM nas drives be fast enough?

I am looking forward to being part of your community. What an amazing project. I also plan to promote OMV through Youtube.
    If anyone can help me It would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Use proxmox and put the OMV system on a VM, use containers por everything else or just create a ubuntu VM with docker, and anything u like.

I use an old i7 860 for proxmox with 8gb of ram.

OMV has 2 cores and 3gb ram

Ubuntu with docker has 2 cores and 4gb of ram (just a couple of services on docker runnign)

a windows10 machine but its just for testing, is not running

and a Win2016 server for AD but its off too, just turn it on when i need a change on my PCs on network (i have a business).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!